Wildcat women’s golf team takes 3rd place after difficult final round

0
36
Then-freshman Chloe Weir watches her ball after teeing off of hole No. 6 at Colbert Hills during the Marilynn Smith/Sunflower Invitational on Sept. 8, 2015. (File Photo by Evert Nelson | The Collegian)

The Kansas State women’s golf team finished third at the John Kirk Panther Intercollegiate in Stockbridge, Georgia, to start the week.

The Wildcats sat in second place after the strong second round on Monday, but they struggled to an 11-over par final round to rule out any chance of a tournament victory.

“We simply gave too many shots away,” head coach Kristi Knight said to K-State Sports. “We hit a lot of good shots, but our misses were costly.”

However, not all things were bad for the Wildcats. The Cats faired well as individuals, with four golfers finishing in the top 20 and three of them in the top 11.

Beginning with a shaky start for K-State, the Wildcats shot a 9-over par through the first nine holes of the competition on Sunday. They were able to turn it around on the back nine to put them in fourth place after the first day. Freshman Tash Carlsson led the way with an even-par 72.

“I am proud of the way the team played on the back nine after struggling on the front nine,” Knight said. “I think we turned 9-over par and played the back nine at 1-over par.”

The second day was the Wildcats’ strongest. They moved up the scoreboard with a 5-over par 293. It was the lowest score by any team on the day and allowed K-State to move into second place and just one stroke behind Eastern Kentucky.

Senior Katherine Gravel-Coursol shot the lowest score for the Wildcats on the day with a 1-under par 71.

On the final day, K-State came up just short. The Wildcats finished just two strokes back of eventual winner Murray State.

Carlsson finished as K-State’s top individual at 5-over par and a sixth place finish. Senior Madison Talley was right behind her, finishing in a tie for eighth with a score of 6-over par.

Sophomore Chloe Weir finished in 11th, Gravel-Coursol finished 19th and junior Connie Jaffrey finished in a tie for 28th place.

Next up, the Wildcats head to Tempe, Arizona, to compete in the PING/ASU Invitational April 7-9.

I am a senior in Journalism. I like sports and things.