An apology letter to K-State men’s basketball

6
5628
Senior forward D.J. Johnson makes a face at an official during the basketball game between K-State and Oklahoma State in Bramlage Coliseum on Feb. 22, 2017. (File Photo by Emily Starkey | The Collegian)

Dear Kansas State men’s basketball team:

I am sorry I gave up on you.

You deserved better from me and the rest of the K-State fans.

Bramlage Coliseum should not have been half empty during the oh-so-important February games. Social media should not have been filled with the attacks on the team.

When you needed us most, we failed you. We students needed head coach Bruce Weber’s bribe of food to attend a game. Half the public were also no-shows.

After the home loss to Oklahoma State, I thought the grass was greener on the other side. I kept the faith, as hard as it was, until the 30-point loss to last-place Oklahoma. At that point, I thought you had given up on yourselves. I stopped expecting a win, let alone putting up a fight.

I gave up on you.

We, the K-State family, gave up on you.

And you proved us wrong.

You won your last two regular-season games, a game in the Big 12 Tournament and a play-in game in the NCAA Tournament’s First Four.

I was sitting in the band at the end of the court during the one-point loss to West Virginia in Kansas City. I thought you had proven me right, that you couldn’t win close games and didn’t care. I thought for sure you would make neither the NCAA Tournament nor the NIT Tournament.

Then you proved me wrong, again. You made a play-in game. And you won.

At the start of the tournament, I remembered Bill Snyder’s goal No. 13: “Expect to Win … and truly believe we will.” I did something I was laughed at for: I filled out my bracket with you going all the way. If I was going to be proven wrong, it would be for having too much faith, not too little.

Could you have played better? Yes. Could you have won more of the close games? Yes. I won’t make excuses for your losses, and neither will you.

Instead of focusing on the negatives of the past seasons, we should focus on the improvements.

Snyder’s goal No. 4: “Improve … every day as a player, person and student,” should be our measuring stick for this year’s team. You made the NCAA Tournament for the first time in three years. I’d say that’s a significant improvement.

With three returning sophomore starters and the same head coach, expectations will be higher. I’m glad Weber is returning. Weber coached you to an NCAA Tournament and a play-in game victory.

You only have to look as far as KU’s football program to find an example of what an endless coaching carousel does to a program.

Just remember the real goal is to improve. As long as you do that, you’re doing it right.

And we Wildcat fans should never give up on you. Goal No. 10: “Never Give Up … never … never … never.”

Jason Tidd is a senior in journalism. The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the Collegian. Please send comments to [email protected]

Jason Tidd
Jason Tidd graduated from Kansas State University's Miller School of Journalism and Mass Communication in May 2017. He was the spring 2017 editor-in-chief, fall 2016 news editor and spring 2016 assistant news editor. While at K-State, Jason played baritone in the Pride of Wildcat Land marching band.
  • catband

why would you have doubted they would have at least made it to the NIT ……. like that was guaranteed.

• Gil

But the coach DID make excuses for loses. Bruce sucks and needs to go!

• Paul

Doesn’t get any more losery than this. Now both Bruce AND yourself need to apologize to wildcat nation. As a proud grad i expect us not to support such ineptitude but have accepted that fans like yourself will always be the reason for our lack of success. You will read this and claim you are more of a kstate fan than b/c “win or lose we are still FAMILY” or something like that which is fine because you don’t know any better. My friends and alumni have seen the greatness. We’ve seen the Pullins, the Samuels, the Kellys, the McGruders, the BEASELEYs, AND THE FRANKS of the world–we know what real success looks like. Not this “play in, happy-cuz-we-made-it-in nonsense. Terrible. Stick to band.

• Mayor

Paul obviously you missed the point. Sad you are so focused on instant success you aren’t willing to acknowledge the improvement and resolve given by our student athletes. Those young people deserve our support, especially when they represent us with dignity on and off the court. In life when times are the toughest is when you need the support of your peers the most. Leaving Bramledge empty shows we are no better than our, “Wait until basketball” rivals. As for the likes of Beasley, whom you praise in CAPS, I’ll pass on your greatness if winning costs us the image of a noble institution for police reports and drug accusations.

Whether you agree or not Jason at least put his name and opinion out there in print for the world to read. Much braver than you and I ranting in the comment section. I applaud that. It’s easy to criticize but much harder to admit your short fall in public. Thanks Jason! Glad I support the band too.

• Manhattan

It’s not the student athletes anyone has a problem with; it is Currie, and Weber. Many fans liked Frank Martin. I wouldn’t want to play for Martin because I wouldn’t appreciate being yelled at all the time but clearly there are athletes who did and still do want to play for Martin. How do you send a message to the administration that you want change? By selling out Bramlage? There is only one way and that is to stop giving them money.

What improvement has there been since 2012-2013 or 2013-2014?

Beasley likes marijuana. So what?

• Sean Reinhard

Googled Kansas State basketball recruiting and it brought up looking for a new coach and we quit on the team. What a lousy thing to show a potential player! Why put that up? It was said now have some vision and e what you did!! Marketing 93