K-State set for final home match, senior day

0
50
Senior Iva Bago stands ready at K-State's match against Missouri at the K-State Recreation Tennis Courts on Feb. 10, 2017. (File Photo by John Benfer | The Collegian)

The K-State women’s tennis team is preparing for their last home match of the season along with senior day, taking on the Shockers of Wichita State this afternoon.

Four seniors will be honored at Mike Goss Tennis Stadium: Iva Bago, Livia Cirnu, Palma Juhasz and Maria Panaite.

Head coach Danielle Steinberg talked to K-State Sports about how the team is fired up for their seniors and are ready to take on a tough Wichita State team.

“Wichita State is a very strong team, and one that we have developed a rivalry with over the years,” Steinberg said to K-State Sports. “I am excited to see the girls play for the seniors and play for each other. Whenever we do that, we bring our best energy and attitude and play our best tennis.”

In last year’s meeting, the Wildcats could not manage to pull out a victory, falling to the Shockers 4-1.

K-State is coming off of two conference victories, taking down Iowa State on March 24 and West Virginia on March 25 with a dominating 4-0 performance against each school. The wins gave K-State an 11-8 record on the season and 2-2 within the Big 12.

Wichita State hit a slump mid-season, losing six of its seven matches. However, the Shockers have turned it up a notch as they look to get their fifth consecutive win against the Wildcats.

The Shockers’ Fatima Bizhukova has caught fire; she has won five straight matches and has an overall 12-6 record. She has held down the No. 4 and 5 spots well, only surrendering losses twice this season.

As for the Wildcats, they will look to bring their momentum from their previous matches.

Junior Carolina Costamagna, sophomore Millie Stretton and freshman Ines Mesquita all came out undefeated in last week’s competition, along with all of the doubles pairs coming out on top as well.

The seniors’ final match at K-State is set to hit off at 3 p.m. today.