Doll, Stambolic steal show for Wildcats at ESU Relays

0
56
Freshman Ariel Okorie jumps in the high jump event at the K-State indoor track and field meet in Ahearn Field House on Feb. 17, 2017. (File Photo by John Benfer | The Collegian)

Junior Kayla Doll stole the show for Kansas State at the Emporia State University Relays, as she set a personal best in the 3,000-meter steeplechase.

Senior Marija Stambolic also had an impressive showing, as she won the 800-meter run, which was her first win of the season.

“We had a few things go pretty well today,” distance coach Ryun Godfrey said to K-State Sports. “For the most part, the team gave a good effort and competed well. Kayla had a nice race in the steeplechase, running a personal best. Blake (Goodin) ran well in the 1,500-meter run in his first race in many months, while Bryan (Zack) also added a nice personal-best in the 5,000-meter run.”

Due to limited numbers, the women’s team came in ninth place with 37 points, and the men’s team scored 14 points, which was good for 12th place.

Along with Doll, sophomore Emma Wren had an impressive showing in the 3,000-meter steeplechase, as she came in second place with a time of 10:59:02, which was a personal best.

On the men’s side of the 3,000-meter steeplechase, senior Jeff Bachman also ran well, coming in third place with a time of 9:27:34.

The women’s team also claimed the top-two spots in the 800-meter run. Stambolic had a time of 2:11:77, and senior Paige Stratioti finished just behind her, coming in with a time of 2:11:99.

Three Wildcats saw personal bests in the men’s 5,000-meter run. Junior Colton Donahue came in fifth with a time of 14:44:70, Zack came in 10th with a time of 14:55:24 and junior Brett Bachman had a time of 15:10:48, which was good for 15th.

Arizona awaits the Wildcats next, as combined events will be in Tucson, Arizona, on April 6-7 for the Jim Click Combined Events. The rest of the team will compete in the Sun Angel Classic on April 7-8 in Tempe, Arizona.