K-State rowers leave Florida prepared for Big 12 dual

0
111
The then-varsity team rows back to the dock on Apr. 8, 2015 at Tuttle Creek Lake in Manhattan. (File Photo by Rodney Dimick | The Collegian)

The Kansas State women’s rowing team traveled to Sarasota, Florida, this past weekend where they competed in the Sunshine State Invitational hosted at Nathan Benderson Park.

While this was the rowing team’s first-ever trip to Florida, it didn’t stop the 3V8 and 2V8 teams from bringing home some hardware.

K-State’s 3V8 boat achieved a second-place finish during the final round on Saturday. The Wildcats finished with a time of 7:02:7 right behind Alabama, who finished with a time of 6:59:2.

The 2V8 boat placed third in the final round, with a time of 6:51:1. Miami placed second, while Central Florida placed first with a time of 6:44:5.

The Wildcats also brought three other boats: the 1V8, 1V4 and 2V4. The 2V4 boat finished in fourth place, while both the 1V8 and 1V4 boats placed fifth in their final rounds.

While the 1V8 boat didn’t finish in the top three, they still saw improvement from their Friday heat round. They finished on Friday with a time of 6:48:0, but were able to finish with a time of 6:41:6, shaving seven seconds off of their Friday heat time in the final round.

“The 1V8 raced well after not having a good heat yesterday,” head coach Patrick Sweeney said to K-State Sports. “Today, they raced at the level they were looking for. They are closing in on Tulsa, which we were looking for at this meet. I think they have more speed in them. If they keep improving like they are, they will find that speed.”

Overall, this weekend was a time to come together and learn as they strengthen their skills for upcoming competitions.

“The team is coming away from this weekend’s regatta learning a lot more,” Sweeney said. “We are progressing. I think there is a lot more to come from this team. The team learned a lot. It was a great learning experience for everyone.”

The rowers will now prepare for a Big 12 dual coming up this week against the Texas Longhorns.

“Next week is going to be difficult,” Sweeney said. “We have to keep that in perspective. We are looking forward to an extremely competitive day of competition against the other schools in our conference.”

The Big 12 matchup will take place Saturday beginning at 8:15 a.m. in Oklahoma City.

DeAundra Allen
I'm DeAundra Allen, co-editor-in-chief and sports editor at the Collegian. I'm a junior in broadcast journalism and pre-law, with a minor in philosophy. I was born in Brighton, Colorado, home of La Placita and the Bulldogs. I moved to Kansas in 2010, and fell in love with press boxes at a young age. In my spare time, I talk about my pets, sports, and work towards going to law school.