K-State tennis team falls on senior day, heads into conference play

0
50
Freshman Ines Mesquita serves the ball at the Mike Goss tennis stadium on March 30, 2017. (Kelly Pham | The Collegian)

The Kansas State women’s tennis team could not pull out a victory for their four senior’s in their last match at Mike Goss Tennis Stadium. K-State lost 4-1 to the Shockers on Friday in a tough outing for the Wildcats.

The loss brings K-State to 11-9, snapping their three-game winning streak and giving Wichita State their fifth-consecutive victory as they prepare for Tulsa.

K-State started off on the right foot with the double pair of junior Carolina Costamagna and freshman Ines Mesquita taking the first victory of the day, taking down senior Tanaporn Thongsing and freshman Ting-Ya Hsu 6-2.

It was then followed by a string of defeats for the Wildcats. The other two of the doubles pairs fell as well.

At the No. 1 spot during doubles competition, sophomore pair Millie Stretton and Ana Garcia Navas could not get anything going, losing to junior Gabriela Porubin and freshman Fatima Bizhukova. This brings the pair to 2-6 overall when competing at the No. 1 spot.

During singles competition, Costamagna had her hands full with Wichita State’s junior Giulia Guidetti, who is ranked No. 120 in singles competition. Costamagna could not manage to find any momentum, losing 6-2, 6-0.

Followed by another loss at the No. 4 spot, Garcia Navas surrendered to Bizhukova 6-1, 6-1.

Senior Maria Panaite won her match at the No. 5 spot in her last-ever outing at home, defeating Hsu 6-4, 6-3, after an impressive effort throughout the entire match.

The day was closed out with Wichita State’s Porubin, taking down the young talent Mesquita. Mesquita mounted a comeback, however, it came up short losing 6-2, 3-6, 6-4.

This wrapped up the season for the K-State tennis team in Manhattan as they prepare to go on the road for the remainder of the season.

The Wildcats will continue Big 12 play beginning in Oklahoma this weekend. K-State is set to head to Stillwater, Oklahoma, to take on Oklahoma State on Friday at 5:30 p.m. They then will head to Norman, Oklahoma, on Sunday to take on the Sooners with action set to hit off at noon.