Valadez leads the way for K-State men’s golf team at Old Waverly Invitational

0
86
Freshman Jacob Eklund practices hitting balls out of a sand trap at Colbert Hills Golf Course on March 9, 2017. (File Photo by John Benfer | The Collegian)

Freshman Levi Valadez led the way for the Kansas State men’s golf team, as he helped the Wildcats place ninth out of 16 teams at the Old Waverly Invitational in West Point, Mississippi.

Head coach Grant Robbins said he thought this meet would be a good test for his team.

“We are looking forward to competing this week at Old Waverly,” Robbins said to K-State Sports. “It is a fantastic course that fits our team pretty well. It will be a great opportunity for us to gain some momentum as we get closer to the Big 12 Championship later this month.”

Teams that competed against K-State at Old Waverly were Mississippi State, Ole Miss, Lipscomb, Kennesaw State, Southern Miss, Southeastern Louisiana, Chattanooga, Louisiana, South Alabama, Memphis, McNeese State, South Florida, Cincinnati, Louisiana Tech and Rice.

Valadez tied for 15th, shooting a 2-under par for the two-day tournament. This was the first time Valadez has been in the scoring lineup this spring for Kansas State.

Another freshman, Jacob Eklund, had the second-highest score for the Wildcats. Eklund shot a 1-over par, which tied him for 30th.

Sophomore Roland Massimino and senior Matt Green both shot a 2-over par, which tied them for 34th. Sophomore Jeremy Gandon struggled over the two days, shooting 6-over par, tying him for 68th.

As a team, the Wildcats shot 3-over par during the tournament.

Dawson Armstrong of Lipscomb University won the tournament shooting 7-under par. South Florida won the team tournament, shooting 16-under par.

Up next for the Wildcats is the Hawkeye Invitational in Iowa City, Iowa, April 14-15. That is the last tournament before the Big 12 Championship, which will take place at the Prairie Dunes Golf Course in Hutchinson, Kansas, April 24-26. After that, the Wildcats will have close to three weeks off from competition before the NCAA Regional Tournament May 15-17.