K-State tennis ends season with road-stand, Oklahoma first stop

0
36
Sophomore Ana Navas starts a serve at the Mike Goss tennis stadiums on March 17, 2017. (File Photo By Kelly Pham | The Collegian)

The K-State tennis team is ready to hit the road for the remainder of the season and continue conference play. They will make two stops this weekend, first visiting No. 9 Oklahoma State today, followed by Oklahoma on Sunday.

The Wildcats are coming off a tough loss to in-state rival Wichita State. They fell to the Shockers 4-1 in what was their last home match of the season, bringing their record to 11-9.

For the remainder of the regular season, K-State will turn their focus to Big 12 competition. The Wildcats only have five more matches this season, which are all against conference foes; they currently sit at 2-2 in the conference.

Their first stop will be in Stillwater, Oklahoma, to take on the Oklahoma State Cowgirls today at 5:30 p.m.

The No. 9 Cowgirls are a force to be reckoned with; they are undefeated this season at home, not to mention they sport a solid overall record of 15-4.

Oklahoma State has had some big wins this year, taking down No. 19 Mississippi and No. 8 California along with coming up just short against No. 7 Ohio State.

The Cowgirls have five players who are ranked in the top 85 in the nation in singles competition. They are led by Viktoriya Lushkova, who is ranked No. 7 in the country. Doubles pair Vladica Babic and Carla Tur Mari are ranked No. 9 in the nation.

After the Wildcats finish business with the Cowgirls, they will travel to Norman, Oklahoma, to take on the Oklahoma Sooners (10-6) at noon on Sunday.

The Sooners started the season well, however, they have struggled of late after losing four of their last six matches. They are currently in a three-match slump, all of which are to Big 12 teams.

Lily Miyazaki is nationally-ranked at No. 30 and holds down the No. 1 spot for the Sooners. She is 9-4 so far this season.

Oklahoma’s Julie Byrne is their utility player. She has competed at every spot excluding No. 1. She has only faced defeat twice this season.

As for the Wildcats, both sophomore Millie Stretton and senior Iva Bago look to secure their fourth consecutive victories in singles play.

On the doubles side, junior Carolina Costamagna and freshman Ines Mesquita look to snag their fourth-straight victory as well.

Concluding their road trip to Oklahoma, the Wildcats will head to Lawrence to take on their long-time rival, the Kansas Jayhawks, at 1 p.m. on April 15.