Rowers travel to Oklahoma City for Big 12 dual

0
75
The K-State rowing 1st Varsity 8 boat races Oct. 23, 2010 at Tuttle Creek Lake against KU. (File Photo by Matt Binter | The Collegian)

The Kansas State women’s rowing team is set for one of the first Big 12 duals of the year. The Wildcats will go head-to-head in their matchup against the Texas Longhorns on Saturday.

Hoping to improve on last week’s meet, the Wildcats left Florida with some areas to work on before their matchup against the Longhorns.

Only two of the five boats placed in the top three of their heats last weekend. The 3V8 boat placed second in the finals while the 2V8 boat placed third in its final after falling only seconds behind the top competitor.

The three other boats that competed — the 2V4, 1V4 and 1V8 boats — struggled in some areas of the competition. The 2V4 boat placed fourth, and the 1V4 and 1V8 boats placed fifth in their final rounds.

Still looking to find their rhythm and working toward faster finishes, the rowers come into this dual hoping the past week of hard work helped them achieve their goals of working together better.

“The 1V4 and 2V4 are finding their strides,” head coach Patrick Sweeney said to K-State Sports. “Both boats are learning that they need to go harder in the middle of the race. Overall, I was pleased with how they raced this weekend, and I think they will figure out the middle of the race as the season progresses.”

After a week of preparation for possibly one of the most difficult duals that they have all season, the rowers will leave Manhattan and head for Oklahoma City where they will have their first chances to compete against some of their conference rivals. Other teams in attendance will be West Virginia, Oklahoma and Kansas.

The dual begins at 8:15 a.m. on Saturday on the Oklahoma River.

DeAundra Allen
I'm DeAundra Allen, co-editor-in-chief and sports editor at the Collegian. I'm a junior in broadcast journalism and pre-law, with a minor in philosophy. I was born in Brighton, Colorado, home of La Placita and the Bulldogs. I moved to Kansas in 2010, and fell in love with press boxes at a young age. In my spare time, I talk about my pets, sports, and work towards going to law school.