Women’s golf nears end of season

0
24
Spread out around the putting green at Colbert Hills, the K-State women's golf team practices putting from various distances to the hole on Oct. 13, 2015. (File Photo by Evert Nelson | The Collegian)

The Kansas State women’s golf season nears its end as the Wildcats head to Tempe, Arizona, for the Ping ASU Invitational, which will take place today through Sunday.

During the last meet at the John Kirk Panther Intercollegiate, the Wildcats finished third out of 15. Freshman Tash Carlsson tied for sixth and senior Madison Talley tied for eighth. Sophomore Chloe Weir just missed the top 10, placing 11th. All five Wildcats finished in the top 30, but head coach Kristi Knight thought her team let the tournament get away from them.

“We simply gave too many shots away,” Knight said to K-State Sports. “We hit a lot of good shots, but our misses were costly.”

K-State as a team has placed in the top half in all three of its meets during the spring season, including a first-place finish at the Westbrook Invitational and a third-place finish at the John Kirk Panther Intercollegiate.

Teams that K-State will compete against in Tempe are Arizona, Arizona State, Baylor, Kentucky, Louisiana State, Missouri, Northern Arizona, New Mexico, Oregon State, San Diego State, Southern Methodist, Nevada-Las Vegas and Washington.

The tournament begins at 8 a.m. today and Saturday and will tee off at 7:30 a.m. on Sunday.

The tournament will take place at the Karsten Country Club. It is a par 72, 18-hole course with a yardage of 6,337 yards from the women’s tees. It has a course rating of 73.8 and a slope rating of 131.

After the Ping ASU invitational, the Wildcats will turn their attention to the Big 12 Championship, which will take place April 21-23, at the Dominion Country Club in San Antonio, Texas. After that, the Wildcats will participate in the NCAA Regionals May 4-6 in hopes of making it to the NCAA Championship.