K-State rowing team ends day with a victory against Oklahoma

0
90
The varsity rowing team pushes hard as they head back to the dock on April 8, 2015, at Tuttle Creek Lake in Manhattan. (File photo by Rodney Dimick | The Collegian)

The Kansas State women’s rowing team traveled to Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, this past weekend to compete in the inaugural Big 12 dual.

An intense four-hour competition led to Wildcat losses against the Texas Longhorns. However, they won against conference foe, the Oklahoma Sooners, in the 3V8 race to finish the day.

“It was nice that the girls beat Oklahoma to close out the day,” head coach Patrick Sweeney said to K-State Sports. “Any win is a good win. They raced well and I think this will give them some confidence that they can hopefully build on moving forward.”

After overcoming blustery winds and choppy water in the Oklahoma River, the rowers fell to the Texas Longhorns in all five of the races. The losses ranged anywhere from 40 seconds to 20 seconds short of the Longhorns. The Longhorns are ranked No. 5 in the nation and threw the Wildcats lots of challenges they were not able to grab a hold of.

Following the losses to the Longhorns, the Wildcats came back later in the day to race against the Oklahoma Sooners, where they were able to race ahead toward the finish line to beat out the Sooners at the end of the day.

After close races before the 3V8 race, it was clear there was improvement from the last Wildcat matchup against the Sooners. The 1V8 boat finished nine seconds behind the Sooners, while the 2V8 boat finished 13 seconds behind.

Also in attendance were the 1V4 and 2V4 boats, which struggled to hit their strides and finished with 30-second losses.

The last race of the day was the 3V8 boat against the Sooners. While the Wildcats haven’t had much training in these challenging racing conditions, they managed to pull ahead of the Sooners, finishing with a time of 7:57:682. The Sooners finished with a time of 8:05:518.

“Along with the 3V8, the 1V8 and 2V8 handled the conditions relatively well considering the amount of time on the water we have had,” Sweeney said. “I think their technique is really improving.”

The rowers will now prepare for the Southern Intercollegiate Rowing Association (SIRA) Championship Regatta, in Oak Ridge, Tennessee, on April 14-15.

DeAundra Allen
I'm DeAundra Allen, co-editor-in-chief and sports editor at the Collegian. I'm a junior in broadcast journalism and pre-law, with a minor in philosophy. I was born in Brighton, Colorado, home of La Placita and the Bulldogs. I moved to Kansas in 2010, and fell in love with press boxes at a young age. In my spare time, I talk about my pets, sports, and work towards going to law school.