Wildcat tennis team finishes tough trip to Oklahoma 0-2

0
23
Sophomore Ana Garcia Navas starts a serve at the Mike Goss Tennis Stadium on March 17, 2017. (File photo by Kelly Pham | The Collegian)

The Kansas State women’s tennis team went 0-2 this weekend on their Oklahoma road trip. They were swept by the No. 9 Cowgirls of Oklahoma State on Friday 4-0, and then fell to the Oklahoma Sooners on Sunday 4-2.

The Wildcats traveled to the Greenwood Tennis Center in Stillwater, Oklahoma, Friday to take on the No. 9 Oklahoma State Cowgirls, who kept their undefeated home win-streak alive.

Oklahoma State matchup

The action hit off on the doubles side where the No. 9 pair in the country for Oklahoma State, juniors Vladica Babic and Carla Tur Mari, took down sophomores Ana Garcia Navas and Millie Stretton in dominating fashion, winning 6-1.

In the No. 3 spot of doubles play, K-State’s senior pair Iva Bago and Livia Cirnu could not find their stroke. The No. 52 ranked senior Viktoriya Lushkova and junior Katarina Adamovic for Oklahoma State came out with an impressive 6-0 victory.

The same story played out for the Wildcats on the singles side of the equation, where they went down 0-3.

It was kicked off at the No. 4 spot when No. 67, freshman Lena Ruppert for the Cowgirls, defeated Garcia Navas 6-0, 6-0.

At the No. 5 spot, freshman Katarina Stresnakova spoiled the Wildcats senior Maria Panaite’s two-match win streak, taking her down 6-2 and 6-0.

The afternoon was closed out at the No. 3 spot where No. 49 Babic took the victory 6-1 and 6-3, competing against K-State freshman Ines Mesquita.

After a tough loss in Stillwater, the Wildcats headed to Norman for their match against the Sooners, where they fell 4-2.

Oklahoma matchup

Junior Carolina Costamagna and Mesquita came out firing on all cylinders against juniors Lily Miyazaki and Christiana Brigante, snagging a 6-1 victory at the No. 2 spot in doubles play.

It was the only doubles victory the Wildcats managed to take, as pairs Stretton/Garcia Navas and Cirnu/Bago faced defeat against the Sooners.

The Wildcats had a slow start in the beginning of singles competition, however they did manage to make a push at the end of the competition.

K-State dropped their first two matches at the No. 6 spot and the No. 4 spot. Mesquita turned it around at the No. 3 spot, getting a victory for the Wildcats against the Sooners freshman Julie Byrne, 7-5, 6-4.

Panaite followed her winning ways next at the No. 5 spot, which was ultimately the last victory of the day for K-State. Panaite won 6-2 and 6-4 against Oklahoma’s freshman Ann Selim.

The rough weekend brings K-State to 2-4 in the Big 12 and an 11-11 overall record on the season.

The Wildcats will continue conference play on the road, as they head to Lawrence to take on their rival Kansas Jayhawks on Saturday.