Rowers travel to Tennessee to compete in championship regatta

0
163
The then-varsity team rows back to the dock on April 8, 2015 at Tuttle Creek Lake in Manhattan. (File Photo by Rodney Dimick | The Collegian)

The Kansas State women’s rowing team will travel to Oak Ridge, Tennessee to compete in the annual Southern Intercollegiate Rowing Association (SIRA) Championship Regatta on Melton Hill Lake, held April 14-15. There will be three K-State boats in attendance.

“This regatta is one that we normally do pretty well at,” head coach Patrick Sweeney said to K-State Sports. “I think the course is one of the better ones in the country. I wish more people would come to this regatta because of that. You get good, fair racing at this normally because of the conditions. This gives us a fair assessment of what speed we are at. That is why this weekend, for us, is not so much about the competition, but about how fast we are.”

With over 20 teams in attendance, the regatta is a huge one. The competition is set to begin with preliminary time trial rounds at 12 p.m. on Friday and continue throughout the day. The first K-State boat set to take off is scheduled at 2:30, followed by 3:15 and 3:48 in the time trial rounds.

Following those races are preliminary time trial rounds. The first set of finals will start at 5 p.m. on Friday.

On Saturday the qualifying teams will begin racing in the semifinals at 8 a.m. in one-on-one competitions, with multiple rounds before they can advance to the Saturday finals. Saturday finals will begin at 10:20 a.m. and will be completed by 4 p.m.

This race has been highly anticipated, as it is one of the biggest regattas the team will compete in this year. With the Big 12 championship regatta approaching in less than a month, it is vital for the team to be prepared for every race coming up.

“It is also good to go (to Oak Ridge) because in four weeks time we will be racing at this course again at the Big 12 Championship,” Sweeney said to K-State Sports. “It is good for the younger kids to get to see the course and see how it runs and get to know the town. It becomes more natural to them when we come back for the big stage.”

The first race will kick off on Friday at 12 p.m. with the first round of preliminary time trial races, where Sweeney and his team will await their time trial opportunities.

DeAundra Allen
I'm DeAundra Allen, co-editor-in-chief and sports editor at the Collegian. I'm a junior in broadcast journalism and pre-law, with a minor in philosophy. I was born in Brighton, Colorado, home of La Placita and the Bulldogs. I moved to Kansas in 2010, and fell in love with press boxes at a young age. In my spare time, I talk about my pets, sports, and work towards going to law school.