K-State women’s rowing team ends successful weekend at SIRA

0
162
The K-State varsity rowing team rows back to the dock on April 8, 2015, at Tuttle Creek Lake in Manhattan. (File photo by Rodney Dimick | The Collegian)

The Kansas State women’s rowing team traveled to Oak Ridge, Tennessee, this weekend and brought home four gold medals for all four boats in the Southern Intercollegiate Rowing Association Championship Regatta. This was the first season since 2014 that K-State brought home all gold medals for all boats in attendance.

“Having five days on the water allowed the women to improve and find more speed,” head coach Patrick Sweeney said to K-State Sports. “It was a good learning experience for all of the boats. It is a young team, so when they get water time they make big leaps. They did a good job this weekend.”

On Friday the team faced no problems with the time trial rounds, allowing all four Wildcat boats to easily make it into the final rounds on Saturday, where they were then able to shine at Melton Hill Lake.

K-State’s 1V8 boat achieved a first-place finish after finishing three seconds ahead of Old Dominion, with a time of 6:44:936. The 2V8 boat finished with a time of 7:02:899, placing first in their round as well. The final eight-man boat, the 3V8, placed first with a time of 7:21:451, finishing 20 seconds ahead of the second-place finisher, Tennessee.

The only four-man boat, the 1V4, placed first as well with a time of 8:02:106, eight seconds ahead of Jacksonville.

“The 2V8 and 3V8 did a good job this weekend,” Sweeney said. “The 1V8 also raced really hard against Old Dominion in the final. Old Dominion lost to Alabama by two-tenths of a second last week and Alabama beat us in Florida, so the result today was a nice step forward.”

In two weeks the team will return to action, going head-to-head against Kansas in the Sunflower Showdown at Wyandotte County Lake in Kansas City, Kansas.

DeAundra Allen
I'm DeAundra Allen, co-editor-in-chief and sports editor at the Collegian. I'm a junior in broadcast journalism and pre-law, with a minor in philosophy. I was born in Brighton, Colorado, home of La Placita and the Bulldogs. I moved to Kansas in 2010, and fell in love with press boxes at a young age. In my spare time, I talk about my pets, sports, and work towards going to law school.