Massimino stars for K-State men’s golf team at Hawkeye Invitational

0
85
Sophomore Roland Massimino, K-State men's golfer, practices hitting balls out of a sand trap at Colbert Hills Golf Course on March 9, 2017. (File photo by John Benfer | The Collegian)

The Kansas State men’s golf team put an end to their 2016-17 regular season with a 10th-place finish at the Hawkeye Invitational.

Sophomore Roland Massimino was the star for the Wildcats, as he tied for sixth with a 2-under par. Massimino finished the tournament strong, shooting a 4-under par in the third and final round.

Senior Matt Green tied for 34th with a 5-over par, but had a tremendous second round shooting 4-under par.

Due to bad weather, second round play on Saturday was suspended. Play was resumed on Sunday and third round play was also completed.

Head coach Grant Robbins said he thought the weather played a factor in the team’s play.

“We got off to a better start in the second round before the weather delay,” Robbins said to K-State Sports. “We still have about 24 holes to finish up, so we will have a chance to regroup and come out strong in the final round.”

Freshman Levi Valadez and senior Jack Rickabaugh, who competed as an individual, tied for 64th shooting 13-over par. Valadez shot even par on his first and final rounds but shot an 85 in the second round.

Sophomore Jeremy Gandon was right behind Valadez and Rickabaugh, as he tied for 68th with a 14-over par.

Redshirt freshman Ben Fernandez tied for 71st with a 15-over par.

Big 12 counterpart Texas Tech won the team tournament, shooting a 9-under par. Sophomore Nick Voke of Iowa State won the individual tournament shooting a 9-under par. Only 10 golfers shot below par.

Tournament play now awaits the Wildcats. Next up, the Wildcats will participate in the Big 12 Championship April 24-26. The team won’t have to travel far, as the tournament will take place at the Prairie Dunes Golf Course in Hutchinson, Kansas.

After the Big 12 Championship, the Wildcats will try to punch their ticket into the NCAA Championship with the NCAA Regionals in Sugar Grove, Illinois.