K-State women’s golf team ready for Big 12 Championship

0
28
Spread out around the putting green at Colbert Hills, the K-State women's golf team practices putting from various distances to the hole on Oct. 13, 2015. (File Photo by Evert Nelson | The Collegian)

The Kansas State women’s golf season nears its end as the Wildcats participate in the Big 12 Championship April 21-23, their last tournament before the NCAA Regionals.

Off the course, the team has found great success. Four members of the team earned Academic All-Big 12 honors for the 2016-17 school year. Seniors Katherine Gravel-Coursol and Madison Talley and junior Connie Jaffrey were named to the first team. Senior Paige Nelson was named second team.

K-State also announced the addition of another golfer for the 2017-18 season after Darby Deans of Frisco, Texas, committed to the Wildcats.

“I am thrilled to be adding a player and a person like Darby to our roster,” head coach Kristi Knight said to K-State Sports. “She possesses talent, great practice habits and a competitive spirit.”

In the last meet, K-State placed eighth out of 14 teams in the Ping/ASU Invitational. Nelson led the way for the Wildcats, tying for fifth. Sophomore Chloe Weir was not far behind her, as she tied for 17th.

Despite placing eighth, Knight was not disappointed in the slightest.

“We are not going to hang our heads due to today’s results,” Knight said to K-State Sports. “We had a lot of good things happen at this event. We just have to learn from it, move on and use it as motivation.”

K-State will compete against all other Big 12 schools, except West Virginia, at the Dominion Country Club in San Antonio, Texas. This is the third straight year the Championship has been held at the Dominion Country Club.

From the women’s tees, it is a par 72 with a yardage of 5,407 yards.

After this, K-State will compete in the NCAA Regionals with hopes of moving on to the NCAA Championship. It has yet to be announced where the Wildcats will go for Regionals.