Wildcat tennis team faces rough outing in season finale

0
29
Sophomore Ana Navas starts a serve at the Mike Goss Tennis Stadium on March 30, 2017. (File Photo by Kelly Pham | The Collegian)

The Kansas State women’s tennis team had a tough outing this weekend in Texas as they were swept by both No. 18 Baylor and No. 25 Texas.

The Wildcats had their first match on Friday against the Baylor Bears and lost the match 4-0.

The struggles began on the doubles side of the equation. The pair of freshman Ines Mesquita and senior Iva Bago hit the day off for the Wildcats. They fell to Baylor’s junior Theresa Van Zyl and senior Rhiann Newborn 6-3 at the No. 3 spot.

K-State’s duo of sophomore Millie Stretton and senior Maria Panaite got a hard-fought victory, claiming a huge 7-5 win over Baylor’s pair of senior Blair Shankle and sophomore Karina Traxler at the No. 1 spot.

As for the No. 2 spot in doubles play, junior Carolina Costamagna and senior Livia Cirnu took freshmen Angie Shakhraichuk and Jessica Hinojosa to an extra set for a tie-breaker. Their efforts, however, were not enough to overcome the Bears, falling 7-6 (7-3).

On the singles side, Hinojosa took down the Wildcats’ Panaite, 6-2, 6-1. This would begin a tough string of losses for K-State.

It was followed by an extremely tough match for Costamagna, who fell to No. 5, 6-2, 6-0.

The day against Baylor was closed out with Mesquita losing 6-2 in both sets to the Bears’ Van Zyl.

The squad then headed to Austin, Texas, to take on the No. 25 Longhorns. There was nothing pretty going for the Wildcats during their matchup with Texas.

The day was kicked off losing at the No. 3 and No. 1 spots during doubles play.

Mesquita and Bago lost 6-3 to freshman Daniella Roldan and junior Dani Wagland. The Longhorns’ No. 84 freshmen Petra Granic and Bianca Turati continued the winning ways for Texas, knocking off Stretton and Panaite 6-4.

It was the same story on the singles side of the equation. Freshman Anna Turati continued the rampage for Texas, taking down sophomore Ana Garcia Navas 6-1, 6-2, at the No. 4 spot.

The Longhorns’ No. 72 Granic took care of K-State’s Mesquita, winning 6-3, 6-2.

The day was closed out with a final loss at the No. 5 spot, but Panaite did not go down without a fight against Wagland. Wagland took the first set in a close 7-6 win. Panaite came storming back to win the next set 7-3, however, her efforts were outdone in the final set, losing 6-1.

The losses conclude the regular season for the Wildcats, where they faced some difficulties in the back-half of the season, ending it with a six-match skid. They are 2-7 in the Big 12 and 11-14 overall.

The Wildcats will head to Norman, Oklahoma, for the first round of the Big 12 Championship where they will see the Iowa State Cyclones in the first round. Action will hit off Thursday at 1 p.m.