K-State baseball heads to Kauffman Stadium

0
239
Sophomore right hander Brogan Heinen pitches the ball during the K-State game against New Mexico at Tointon Family Stadium on April 18 2017. (File Photo by Sabrina Cline | The Collegian)

The Kansas State baseball team is set to take on the Arkansas Razorbacks tonight, but the game won’t take place in Fayetteville, Arkansas, or Manhattan, Kansas. The teams will meet in Kansas City, Missouri, and will have a big league feel in Kauffman Stadium, home of the Kansas City Royals.

Neutral sites have gone in favor of the Wildcats this year, as the team is 5-2 in neutral site contests.

The Wildcats are fresh off a series win against No. 21 West Virginia. After dropping the first game on Friday, K-State won 8-4 and 11-4 on Saturday and Sunday to claim the series.

Senior first baseman Jake Scudder has been on an absolute tear lately, crushing home run after home run. The senior now has 11 home runs on the year, which is the top mark in the Big 12. Scudder also leads the conference in RBIs with 46. Scudder was named Big 12 Player of the Week on Monday for his play.

Freshman outfielder Will Brennan has been hitting everything that has been thrown his way this year. Brennan leads the team in batting, hitting .364, which is the second-highest in the conference. Brennan was named Big 12 Newcomer of the Week on Monday for the second time this season.

Freshman infielder Cameron Thompson has also seen his fair share of hits this year, as he ranks eighth in the conference, hitting .333.

In 10 starts this year, junior Justin Heskett has a 4-2 record with a 2.89 ERA, which is the sixth-best in the Big 12. Senior Parker Rigler is 10th in the conference with a 3.36 ERA.

Out of the bullpen, freshman Tyler Eckberg leads the team with a 2.31 ERA in 13 appearances to go along with four saves. Senior Nick Jones has a 5-0 record, and leads the conference in total appearances this year with 25.

After facing the Razorbacks, the Wildcats will return to Manhattan for the first three of a seven-game home stand against Abilene Christian on April 28-30.

The Wildcats will face Arkansas at 6 p.m. tonight.