BatCats lose after wild pitch

0
124
Members of the baseball team line up for the National Anthem before the game against the West Virginia Mountaineers at the Tointon Family Stadium in Manhattan on April 22, 2017. The Wildcats went on to win the game 8-4. (Justin Wright | The Collegian)

The Kansas State baseball team fell to the Arkansas Razorbacks Tuesday night 6-5 under the bright lights of Kauffman Stadium, home of the Kansas City Royals.

The game got off to a slow start with a one-two-three inning to start off for the Cats.

K-State eventually got on the board in the top of the second when senior first baseman Jake Scudder hit a leadoff homerun to deep right center field that just missed the center fielders glove to clear the fence.

The Cats then proceeded to get the next three Arkansas batters for a shutdown inning.

The next runs weren’t scored until the bottom of the fifth when Mitch Zubradt, the right-handed sophomore, walked the leadoff batter. After a line-out to left from sophomore outfielder Eric Cole, the Razorbacks put in a pinch hitter, Dominic Fletcher.

Fletcher was able to find the ball and sent a single out to right. After a double-steal, Evan Lee, another pinch hitter for the Razorbacks, hit a single to left field, bringing two men home to put Arkansas up 2-1.

Lee found his way to second base after an errant throw and was brought home when junior infielder/outfielder Chad Spanberger hit a deep shot to right center field that took a bounce off the outfield wall for an RBI double.

In the sixth, the Wildcats were able to pull back within one after a single through first from sophomore catcher Josh Rolette that was able to bring in freshman infielder Cameron Thompson from second base.

In the top of the seventh, the Wildcats would add three more after an RBI single from freshman outfielder Will Brennan that scored senior infielder Jake Wodtke, as well as a two-run shot from redshirt senior infielder Quintin Crandall that just snuck inside the left-field foul pole.

The lead was short lived because in the bottom of the seventh the Razorbacks would knot it back up at five a piece. After two hits to start the inning from junior Eric Cole and another hit for Fletcher, a passed ball would advance them into scoring position.

Junior outfielder Luke Bonfield would bring them in with a sac fly out to right.

K-State would later strand two men in the top of the ninth and would strand men on with bases loaded in the top of the 10th.

“With men on third base with less than two outs that’s where you need to cash in and punch those runs across,” head coach Brad Hill said after the game.

This would prove to come back to haunt them when in the bottom of the 10th with a heavy rain coming down. Senior pitcher Colton Kalmus threw a wild pitch that would lead to redshirt junior Carson Shaddy scoring from third to end the game.

After a game that went four hours and 25 minutes, the Razorbacks won 6-5.

“It was a good game back and forth, but you hate to see it end on a wild pitch,” said Hill.

With the loss, the Wildcats fall to 21-20 on the year and will next host Abilene Christian at Tointon Family Stadium for a weekend series.