K-State rowing team prepares for the Sunflower Showdown

0
59
The then-varsity rowing team pushes forward during practice on April 8, 2015 at Tuttle Creek Lake in Manhattan. (File Photo by Rodney Dimick | The Collegian)

The Kansas State women’s rowing team will travel to Lawrence for a Sunflower Showdown against Kansas. The showdown will be held at Burcham Park.

Due to the possibility of poor weather, the original time of 11 a.m. on Saturday was pushed to 5:45 p.m. today and moved to Lawrence from Kansas City, Kansas.

“I think this year we will come in more aware that if we do not perform well, Kansas will beat us,” head coach Patrick Sweeney said to K-State Sports. “Last year, we came into the race flat. We were looking beyond to the Big 12 Championship, and it showed in the results. It is always tight racing. We cannot be complacent. This season, we are getting quicker week to week, so if we continue that we will be ready for Friday’s races and ready for the Big 12 Championship.”

The Wildcats has won five of the past seven matchups against Kansas. This race will conclude the regular season for rowing, before they travel back to Oak Ridge, Tennessee, for the Big 12 Championship regatta May 13-14.

“It is an outdoor sport, and you have to be prepared to change things,” Sweeney said to K-State Sports. “Part of the maturity is being able to handle the changes. You cannot control many things in rowing. What you can control is your emotions and managing stress. It is a great learning process.”

The Cats will come ready to compete after they have showed more than enough preparation against the in-state rival, Kansas. At the Southern Intercollegiate Rowing Association Championship Regatta, all five K-State boats in attendance achieved a gold medal.

Action will begin at 5:45 p.m. today and can be viewed at the Kansas Boathouse. The event is free to the public.

DeAundra Allen
I'm DeAundra Allen, co-editor-in-chief and sports editor at the Collegian. I'm a junior in broadcast journalism and pre-law, with a minor in philosophy. I was born in Brighton, Colorado, home of La Placita and the Bulldogs. I moved to Kansas in 2010, and fell in love with press boxes at a young age. In my spare time, I talk about my pets, sports, and work towards going to law school.