Cat fight: K-State baseball to face shared mascot in Texas school

0
98
Senior pitcher Parker Rigler throws against the West Virginia Mountaineers at Tointon Family Stadium in Manhattan on April 22, 2017. (Justin Wright | The Collegian)

It will be a slightly weird weekend for the Kansas State baseball team as they host Abilene Christian for three games at Tointon Family Stadium.

Not only are the Wildcats facing a nonconference foe, they will be playing a doubleheader today due to the rain threat on Saturday. The series will conclude on Sunday.

The first game today will begin at 2:30 p.m. and the second game will begin at 6:30 p.m. with Sunday’s first pitch set for 1 p.m.

K-State is coming off a 6-5 loss on Tuesday night to the Arkansas Razorbacks at Kauffman Stadium.

“It was a good game, back and forth,” head coach Brad Hill said to K-State Sports after the game. “Both teams competed pretty darn hard against each other. Couple baseball things that happened there, get runner on third and less than two outs, got to cash in and get those runs across.”

Despite the loss, some K-State hitters continue to hit the ball well. Senior first baseman Jake Scudder hit another home run — his 12th of the season — and leads the Big 12. Wildcat senior infielder Quintin Crandall also hit a home run, but the two player’s home runs weren’t enough to power K-State past Arkansas.

As for the Abilene Christian Wildcats, they have struggled a lot this season as they are 12-16 overall and have won just one road game. They are coming off a 7-0 win against Baker on Wednesday, but have only won three games since March 17.

K-State will look to build off a series win last weekend against West Virginia, who sits in the top three in the Big 12 Conference.

This will be the first nonconference weekend game for the Wildcats in over a month as they try to improve on their 21-20 record this season.