K-State baseball team sweeps Abilene Christian in weekend series

0
56
Members of the Kansas State Wildcats baseball team play against the West Virginia Mountaineers at Tointon Family Stadium in Manhattan on April 22, 2017. The Wildcats went on to win the game with a final score of 8-4. (File Photo by Justin Wright | The Collegian)

The Kansas State baseball team got back to their winning ways after they swept a three-game series over the weekend against Abilene Christian at Tointon Family Stadium.

Due to inclement weather, the two teams played a doubleheader on Friday with K-State winning both of those contests.

In game one, Abilene Christian jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the top of the first inning. The Wildcats got one of their own in the bottom of the fourth and two in the sixth inning.

Down 4-3 going into the bottom of the seventh, K-State scored three runs as senior infielder Josh Either hit a base-clearing triple with the bases loaded. The Wildcats won over Abilene Christian 6-5.

The pitching for the Abilene Christian Wildcats was their downfall, as they walked 15 K-State Wildcats and only threw 97 strikes on 207 pitches.

K-State’s pitching did very well as sophomore right-handed pitcher Hudson Treu pitched one and two-thirds innings, only allowing one run. Senior left-handed pitcher Jordan Floyd came in and closed the game out as K-State came out with the one-run victory.

In game two of the doubleheader, it was all for the KSU Wildcats as they smoked Abilene Christian 11-1 when senior first baseman Jake Scudder hit his 13th home run of the season, which leads the Big 12. They had a season high of 19 hits in the win.

It was a great start from senior left-handed pitcher Parker Rigler for K-State who went six shutout innings and got the win as he only allowed five hits and struck out five.

The Wildcats scored six runs in the bottom of the first inning and then four more in the fourth inning as 10 different Wildcats had hits in the game.

The final game of the series didn’t go any better for Abilene Christian as K-State swept the series with a 14-3 win on Sunday.

The Wildcat bats stayed hot as K-State scored 11 runs in the first two innings of the game. K-State hit four home runs in the game by sophomore catcher Josh Rolette, junior outfielders Hanz Harker and Kyle Barfield as well as Either.

Rolette and Harker had three runs batted in each in the shorted game that went only seven innings due to a run rule.

Senior outfielder Steve Serratore had two hits, two runs batted in and two runs scored in the winning effort, and K-State is now 24-20 overall on the season.

The BatCats will play another nonconference game on Tuesday as they host Wichita State at Tointon Family Stadium starting at 6:30 p.m.