Nail-biting races results in loss for K-State rowing team at Sunflower Showdown

0
113
The varsity rowing team pushes hard as they head back to the dock on April 8, 2015 at Tuttle Creek Lake in Manhattan. (File Photo by Rodney Dimick | The Collegian)

A competitive day at Burcham Park in Lawrence for the Kansas State women’s rowing team happened on Friday, where they suffered a hard-fought loss to the in-state rival Kansas Jayhawks. The Sunflower Showdown ended Friday evening with a score of 12-10, resulting in a Jayhawk victory.

“It is frustrating because we know we could have won it,” head coach Patrick Sweeney said to K-State Sports. “That being said, the girls rowed really well today. During the first 1,500 meters, all of the boats performed extremely well. However, none of the boats were able to sprint well at the end and that is what hurt us. That was the difference today.”

The day started off well, when the 2V4 boat was able to race ahead of the Jayhawks and cross the finish line with a time of 7:00:53, almost nine seconds ahead of Kansas, gaining two points off the start.

The 3V8 boat was the next to claim the second victory against the Jayhawks, after they finished with a time of 6:23:22, 10 seconds ahead of the Kansas boat and extended the lead to four points.

The third race of the day was the 1V4 boats, where the Wildcats fell to the Jayhawks. The Jayhawks pulled ahead and crossed the finish line with a time of 6:50:90, while the Wildcats finished with a time of 6:53:41.

The Wildcats gained back momentum when the 2V8 boat managed to finish first with a time of 6:07:14, where they extended the lead to 10-4. The Jayhawks finished with a time of 6:17:36, 10 seconds behind the Wildcats.

The final race of the day with the 1V8 boat was a nail-biter with both the Wildcat and Jayhawk boats neck-to-neck. Kansas’ boat was able to get ahead in the last sprint of the race, where it finished with a time of 6:00:01.

The Wildcats finished behind the Jayhawks, just 87 hundredths of a second too late with a time of 6:00:88. The Jayhawks claimed the win, finishing the day with a total of 12 points, while the Wildcats had 10.

“The girls are looking good technically and everything is there,” Sweeney said. “We just need to be able to push through the final sprint in. The fitness is there. The strength is there. We just do not have that change of speed to get us across the finish line at the end.”

The Wildcats will now prepare for the Big 12 Championship regatta that will be held in Oak Ridge, Tennessee, May 13-14.

DeAundra Allen
I'm DeAundra Allen, co-editor-in-chief and sports editor at the Collegian. I'm a junior in broadcast journalism and pre-law, with a minor in philosophy. I was born in Brighton, Colorado, home of La Placita and the Bulldogs. I moved to Kansas in 2010, and fell in love with press boxes at a young age. In my spare time, I talk about my pets, sports, and work towards going to law school.