Track and field to compete at home in the Ward Haylett Invitational

0
230
Sophomore Simone Fassina holds a pole vaulting pole at the K-State track meet in Ahearn Field House on Feb. 17, 2017. (File Photo by John Benfer | The Collegian)

The Kansas State men and women’s track and field team will be concluding their regular season this week with the Ward Haylett Invitational, which will be held in Manhattan at the R.V. Christian Track.

This will be the last tournament before the Wildcats head out to Lawrence for the Big 12 Championship that will be held at Rock Chalk Park.

Last week at the Drake Relays in Des Moines, Iowa, the Wildcats did well and proved they are ready to move forward.

Sophomore Shadae Lawrence took first with a throw of 54.09 meters in the women’s discus, while All-American sophomore Brett Neelly placed third in men’s shot put with a throw of 17.83 meters.

Senior Brady Grunder took first in the men’s hammer throw with a throw of 63.82 meters, followed by senior Kyle Smith, who placed fourth with a throw of 60.81 meters.

On the women’s side of hammer throw, senior Janee’ Kassanavoid threw her way into second place with 62.93 meters, followed by Helene Ingvaldsen coming in fifth with 60.91 meters.

Senior Haley Pitko also stood out that weekend when she threw 43.31 meters in the women’s javelin, where she placed third.

The K-State relays also did well that weekend, where the women’s 4×200 team of freshman Wurrie Njadoe, sophomore Ranae McKenzie, freshman Akia Guerrier and freshman Nina Schultz placed second. The men’s 4×800 relay, run by senior Kain Ellis, sophomore Kurt Loevenstein, freshman Travis Hodge and junior Lukas Koch, took third.

The Ward Haylett Invitational will begin at 11 a.m. with the field events, starting with the Breanna Eveland women’s pole vault. Track events are set to start at 2 p.m. with the Teri Anderson women’s 1500 meter run, along with the Jerome How men’s 1500 meter run. The day will end with the men’s and women’s 200 meter dash.

I'm DeAundra Allen, co-editor-in-chief and sports editor at the Collegian. I'm a junior in broadcast journalism and pre-law, with a minor in philosophy. I was born in Brighton, Colorado, home of La Placita and the Bulldogs. I moved to Kansas in 2010, and fell in love with press boxes at a young age. In my spare time, I talk about my pets, sports, and work towards going to law school.