Wildcats face Sooners for final home games of season

0
212
Senior Jake Scudder steps up to bat at Tointon Family Stadium in Manhattan on April 22, 2017. The Wildcats went on to win the game with a final score of 8-4. (File Photo by Justin Wright | The Collegian)

The Kansas State baseball team will play its final games at home this season as they host the Oklahoma Sooners for a three-game series inside Tointon Family Stadium.

The Wildcats have won their past four games, as they swept Abilene Christian last weekend and defeated the Wichita State Shockers on Tuesday night 5-4.

K-State is beginning to play very well at a good time, winning eight of their last 10 games. The Wildcats are 25-20 on the season and 4-11 in Big 12 play.

The Sooners did not have a good April as they went 6-11 in that month, but are 30-16 overall and 8-7 in Big 12 play, which is fourth.

They are coming off a series win over the West Virginia Mountaineers this past weekend in Morgantown.

Tonight’s pitching matchup will be a good one, as the Sooners will send pitcher Jake Irvin to the mound while the Wildcats give junior pitcher Justin Heskett the nod. Irvin is 5-0 this season with a 2.14 earned run average, and Heskett is 5-2 with a 3.14 earned run average.

On Saturday, K-State senior pitcher Parker Rigler will start for the Wildcats, and Kyle Tyler will start on the hill for the Sooners. Rigler is 4-4 this season and a 3.03 earned run average. He pitched a no-hitter for the Wildcats earlier this year.

In the series finale, freshman pitcher Casey Ford will start; he is 2-0 this season with an earned run average over five. That night the Sooners will start Devon Perez.

K-State’s senior first baseman Jake Scudder still leads the Big 12 in home runs with 13 and also leads the conference in slugging percentage. Freshman outfielder Will Brennan is second in the conference with a 0.36 batting average.

The Wildcats will send off nine seniors this weekend after their last games in Tointon Family Stadium.

Today’s game starts at 6:30 p.m. Saturday’s senior night game begins at 2 p.m., and the final game of the series on Sunday will start at 1 p.m.