Women’s soccer returns to Manhattan for season opener against Omaha Mavericks

0
63
Tatum Wagner, sophomore forward, keeps her opponent away from the ball in the game against Univeristy of Missouri Kansas City at the K-State Soccer Complex on Sept. 30, 2016. (File photo by Sabrina Cline | Collegian Media Group)

The second season of Kansas State women’s soccer is underway, and fans will get their first look at the Wildcats at home tonight.

Kicking off the season in exhibition play, the Cats went 2-0. On Aug. 11, K-State travelled to Minnesota and defeated the Golden Gophers 2-0. Two days later, they defeated UMKC 3-0, also on the road.

Three games into the regular season, their record stands at 1-1-1. K-State made a trip through the state of Oregon that came out with a draw against Oregon State and a 0-2 loss to Oregon. They proceeded to make their way to Tulsa, Oklahoma where they got their first victory of the season, beating Oral Roberts 1-0.

K-State has nine sophomores and fifteen freshmen against 10 seniors and juniors on the squad. Having such a young team could prove promising for head coach Mike Dibbini, who is in his second year coaching the Wildcats and has a career record of 265-78-31. K-State won last year’s match against Omaha by a score of 1-0.

Tonight’s game will be held at the K-State Soccer Complex. Standing room tickets are the only ones that are left available to purchase. The Wildcats are hosting the Omaha Mavericks, who are winless so far in the 2017 season. The game is set to start at 7 p.m.