Letter to the editor: Students should choose professors wisely

0
145

The professors we choose to take classes with will, in large part, dictate our accumulation of experiences at Kansas State University. While many professors will be excellent at giving us information, the professors that inspire our thirst for knowledge, questioning and discovery will be infinitely more impactful on our lives because they change the way we think.

Our greatest asset when job searching will be our ability to question dogma and think critically. These are skills that must be learned and cultivated by those who have gone before us, namely our teachers.

When choosing courses for your academic career, be thoughtful to choose professors that will stretch your ability to bring information together in a meaningful way rather than choosing the academic path that will more likely lead to a 4.0 GPA.

This strategy will pay dividends when looking for a job when you are 30. The knowledge, capabilities and interests gained in your courses will likely form the foundation of your career path.

A superlative teacher will have honed your ability to gather information and distill the credible from the not — a skill that defines the accomplished professional leader, be they entrepreneur, manager or highly skilled practitioner. That skill is becoming more in demand as the mounds of available information spiral ever upwards.

Many times I have sought out the opinion of my professors on both matters of academic pursuit and life perspectives. Often my professors can see a perspective that I cannot or have never been exposed to. These have been some of the most impactful conversations I have had while at K-State and have been immensely valuable in determining my future direction and how I view my experiences.

Alex Fees is a graduate student in human nutrition. The views and opinions expressed in this column are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the Collegian. Please send comments to [email protected]