Football keeps domination streak, defeating Charlotte 55-7

0
212
K-State sophomore offensive lineman Tyler Mitchell lifts senior quarterback Jesse Ertz in celebration after a touchdown during the football game against the Charlotte 49ers at Bill Snyder Family Stadium on Sept. 9, 2017. (Photo by George Walker | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State Wildcat’s football season is off to a strong start, as they win against University of North Carolina-Charlotte, 55-7. They are now 2-0.

Last week, quarterback Jesse Ertz became the school’s 21st career 2,000 yard passer. During the game against Charlotte, Ertz moved up to number 17 in school history with 2,266 yards. Ertz also racked up 76 rushing yards, making him 23rd in school history with 1,174 rushing yards.

In the post-game conference, Ertz talked about his offensive line.

Offensive line played great. We had some different guys in there and they still stepped up,” said Ertz. “It was good to spread the ball. It was good to get Alex (Barnes) going. We have the ability, we just have to make it happen.”

Ertz wasn’t the only one that stood out, as safety Kendall Adams had two defensive touchdowns for the game.Adams had not made a touchdown since his high school years, and said that “it just felt good.”

The first touchdown was an interception for Adams in the first quarter for 30 yards, while the second one was a fumble, which resulted in a 46 yard touchdown in the second quarter.

Adams was happy with everything on how it worked out.

“Coach told us what the quarterback liked to do in certain situations, so we had a game plan and I sat on the route and saw the throw and broke on it to run it in,” said Adams. “On the fumble, we are always coached that if its borderline, to go ahead and pick it up and run it back. I could not really tell from where I was at and ran it back just in case and it worked out.”

Teammate and linebacker Trent Tanking was excited for Adams on his pick-six.

“He was great,” said Tanking. “Obviously making the pick-six in the first quarter was a big play. And for him to pick up the lateral that was close, and to take it to the house was awesome.”

At the end of the game, K-State had 21 first downs while Charlotte had only seven.

Kicker Matthew McCrane also made K-State history, as he is the second all-time in career field goals made with 20.

As a team, they finished with 493 rushing yards.

Head coach Bill Snyder is now ranked No. 21 in the NCAA for all-time career wins, being 204.

Coach Snyder seemed underwhelmed with Charlotte’s overall team performance during the conference.

“I don’t think that they played as well as they are capable of,” said Snyder. “I don’t know if it is just traveling, but I know they are a better football team than that.”

Snyder was impressed with the defense’s efforts in today’s game.

“Defensively, what was impressive to me was that we came out and had three consecutive three-and-outs. We were good on third down,” said Snyder. “The score we gave up was the result of a play on special teams. I thought special teams took a step back today. We probably took ourselves for granted.”

Comparing the defensive stance from last week, Snyder felt as if the team took steps forward to be better as a whole.

“I think we have more confidence and team speed. We were a lot faster than we were last Saturday and we ran the ball better,” said Snyder. “We communicated better and I think we did a good job of playing as a defensive whole.”

For today’s game, it was the 35th consecutive sellout in Bill Snyder Family Stadium. Today’s crowd totaled in 50,807 people. The sellout streak has held strong since 2012.

Next week, the Wildcats will travel to Tennessee and take on Vanderbilt University, which is set to kickoff on the 16th at 6:30 p.m.

DeAundra Allen
I'm DeAundra Allen, co-editor-in-chief and sports editor at the Collegian. I'm a junior in broadcast journalism and pre-law, with a minor in philosophy. I was born in Brighton, Colorado, home of La Placita and the Bulldogs. I moved to Kansas in 2010, and fell in love with press boxes at a young age. In my spare time, I talk about my pets, sports, and work towards going to law school.