K-State volleyball wins two out of three at invitational

0
47
Junior middle blocker Macy Flowers and junior Kylee Zumach scream tip as the ball comes down during the volleyball game against Arkansas in Ahearn Field House on Aug. 31, 2017. (Photo by Sabrina Cline | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State volleyball team ended the weekend with a winning record as they went 2-1 in the Georgia Tech Invitational in Atlanta.

The Wildcats opened the invitational with a win over the North Florida Ospreys in four sets on Thursday in a match that they dominated.

“I was very pleased,” said head coach Suzie Fritz to K-State Sports. “I thought we played really well on both sides of the ball. We were looking for some kind of a differential between what we hit and what they hit. We were really pleased. We hit for a high efficiency and, maybe more importantly, we held them to 15 percent. I thought it was a good volleyball team. I thought we played very physically. We were significantly better on defense, better at the net.”

The Wildcats had two matches on Friday, starting the day with a match against Xavier, which was a straight set win for K-State in the first ever match between these two schools.

In the match, K-State hit over .350 while holding the Musketeers to .218. A big stat of the match was the Wildcats had seven aces while Xavier only had one.

K-State junior Kylee Zumach led the team with 14 kills, senior Bryna Vogel had 11 and junior Alyssa Schultejans finished with 10 in the winning effort. Vogel hit a team high .450 hitting percentage and failed to make an attack error in the final two sets of the match.

In the final match of the invitational, K-State lost in five sets to the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets on its home court. Both teams were very even as both teams hit just over .300. K-State finished with 21 attack errors, four more than Georgia Tech.

Four Wildcats ended with double digits in kills: Schultejans had 19 kills, Zumach had 15, junior Macy Flowers ended with 13 and sophomore Elle Sandbothe had 11 in the loss.

Schultejans and Vogel were named to the all-tournament team; this was the second tournament that Vogel was named to an all-tournament team.

The Wildcats are now 4-5 on the season. They will return home on Tuesday when they host the University of Missouri Kansas City at 6 p.m. inside Ahearn Field House. The Kangaroos are also 4-5 this season and went 2-1 in the Kangaroo Classic this past weekend in Kansas City.