K-State Police spreads awareness of sexual violence to community

0
225

The Kansas State Police Department lead a Safe Zone training session on Monday to build awareness of sexual violence and strengthen the department’s relationship with the K-State community.

The training session was lead by officer Randy Myles, whose job is to give presentations on sexual violence, theft and drug use on campus.

“Primarily, my goal is to go out into the K-State community and build a relationship with them and the police department so we can work together to have a safe environment on campus,” Myles said.

According to the Rape, Abuse and Incest National Network, only 20 percent of female students report crimes of sexual violence to the authorities. This is because victims fear the authorities will not believe them due to a lack of evidence, Myles said. Victims also fear being re-victimized by the investigation. This continues to motivate further police lectures, as they bridge the gap between citizens and law enforcement.

Myles informed the audience on how to be an effective, responsible bystander if they witness a crime. Myles gave the audience adequate information on how to report and diffuse a potential crime by sharing the three Ds of bystander intervention: distract, delegate and direct.

“[The best bystander is] somebody who’s willing to intervene, even if they’re doing it by themselves,” Kodee Walls, Safe Zone coordinator, said.

Myles said that people often want to help, but they do not know how.

“We want people to feel comfortable reporting things to us,” Myles said. “If we can build awareness of sexual violence on campuses [and] somebody sees someone be assaulted, they can take the necessary steps to stop that person from assaulting another individual.”

K-State Police is not alone in tackling this far-reaching problem. K-State has a plethora of resources to aid students in all trying times of life.

K-State’s Center for Advocacy, Response and Education is dedicated to helping survivors of domestic, dating and sexual violence and stalking. Allison Day, a survivor advocate at CARE, said part of what CARE does is support survivors and let them know that their stories are being believed.