2017 U.S. Open: Nadal and Stephens crowned champions

0
65

The 2017 U.S. Open recently concluded with Rafael Nadal and Sloane Stephens crowned as champions. The U.S. Open is one of the most prestigious tennis tournaments in the world, held in Flushing Meadows, New York, from Aug. 28 to Sept. 10.

The women’s portion of the singles tournament included an all-American semifinals for the first time since 1981. Sloane Stephens, Venus Williams, Coco Vandeweghe and Madison Keys were part of the historic semifinals, with Stephens advancing to become eventual champion over Keys in the final.

Although Stephens had a convincing score of 6-3, 6-0 over Keys, she was unseeded and had previously suffered a foot injury six months ago. Stephens’ injury required surgery and left her in a wheelchair, causing her to miss 11 months of tournaments in total.

“There are no words to describe how I got here, because if you told someone this story they’d be like, ‘That’s insane,’” Stephens said to BBC News.

On the men’s side of the singles tournament, first seed Rafael Nadal of Spain claimed the championship over surprise finalist Kevin Anderson of South Africa.

Nadal’s win at the U.S. Open means he is the holder of 16 Grand Slam singles titles, with 10 of them being from the French Open in Paris. Nadal is only three Grand Slam wins behind the all-time winningest tennis player: the legendary Roger Federer of Switzerland. Federer fell in the quarterfinals of the U.S. Open this year.

“So here I am. I’m very happy and I’m going to keep working hard to try and come back a lot of years,” Nadal said in a post-match interview with Metro UK.

The 2017 U.S. Open displayed many shocking exits and upsets from big name seeds in the early rounds.

Second seed Simona Halep fell to unseeded Maria Sharapova in the first round. Sixth seed Angelique Kerber also lost her first match. The following round, fifth seed Caroline Wozniacki and eighth seed Svetlana Kuznetsova suffered losses.

In men’s doubles, 2016 U.S. Open champions Jamie Murray and Bruno Soares fell in the quarterfinals to Jean-Julien Rojer and Horia Tecau, who went on to win the championship.

The pairing of Rojer and Tecau defeated Feliciano Lopez and Marc Lopez in the final 6-4, 6-3.

Martina Hingis and Chan Yung-Jan won their way to a U.S. Open women’s doubles title by outlasting the Czech duo of Lucie Hradecka and Katerina Siniakova. Hingis had also claimed the mixed doubles title a day earlier with Jamie Murray.

The 2018 U.S. Open will begin next August.