K-State cross country competes at Greeno/Dirksen Invitational

0
45
K-State women's cross country team warms up on a trail during an early morning practice at Frank Anneberg Park on Oct. 8, 2015. (Archive photo by Cassandra Nguyen | The Collegian)

K-State’s cross country teams competed at the Greeno/Dirksen Invitational in Lincoln, Nebraska, Saturday, where the women’s team placed fourth overall and the men placed fifth overall.

This meet was the second of the season for the Wildcats. The University of Nebraska-Lincoln and Nebraska Wesleyan hosted the meet at Pioneer Park for the 28th time.

The day kicked off with the women’s 6000 meter race, followed by the men’s 8000 meter. The meet was expected to start at 9 a.m., but lightning delayed the start until 10 a.m.

In the women’s 6K race, four Wildcats finished 16-19. This placing group was led by sophomore Sydney Collins (22:47.2), senior Kayla Doll (22:47.2), freshman Cara Melgares (22:47.2) and junior Emma Wren (22:47.3).

Freshman Kassidy Johnson, freshman Victoria Robinson and sophomore Anna Keeley finished 29th, 34th and 35th, respectively.

The men’s team finished their 8K race 5th overall in the competition with 109 points. Four senior runners finished in the top 25 overall: Jeff Bachman (16th, 26:36.6), Lukas Koch (18th, 26:39.3), Colton Donahue (20th, 26:42.1) and Brett Bachman (23rd, 26:46.0).

The winning individuals in the men’s and women’s races are both from the University of Iowa, Nathan Mylenek (25:42.8) and Andrea Shine (21:31.9).

K-State’s next meet is the Cowboy Jamboree in Stillwater, Oklahoma, on Saturday, Sept. 30.

This account was generated by Camayak on 2017-09-06, please refer to http://support.camayak.com/connect-your-camayak-account-to-your-existing-wordpress-account/ if you wish to delete it.