K-State forms partnership with Stormont Vail Health

0
126
K-State junior defensive back D.J. Reed smiles in celebration during the football game against the Charlotte 49ers at Bill Snyder Family Stadium on Sept. 9, 2017. (File photo by George Walker | Collegian Media Group)

Kansas State has partnered with Stormont Vail Health and the Kansas Health Foundation to encourage all Kansans to live a healthy lifestyle in a partnership called the Powercat Health Partnership.

“We are proud to partner with the Kansas Health Foundation and Stormont Vail Health to help encourage a more active and healthy lifestyle for all Kansas residents,” Gene Taylor, K-State athletics director, said to K-State Sports.

The Kansas Health Foundation and Stormont Vail Health will donate $300 for every field goal made during the football season and $30 for every 3-pointer made during men’s basketball season to the Kansas Recreation and Parks Association.

These donations will be used on a “statewide health initiative.”

“The Kansas Recreation and Park Association is grateful to be part of the Powercat Health Partnership, which will provide critical funding to help recreation and park agencies throughout the state offer affordable and accessible programs and services,” Erika Devore, executive director of the Kansas Recreation and Parks Association, said to K-State Sports.

The partnership’s stated goal is to encourage people to be more active, not use tobacco, eat healthier, seek out preventative health care and be more involved in their community.

“Kansas’s recreation and park agencies provide healthy eating and active living opportunities in local communities statewide,” Devore said.

The partnership was announced at K-State’s home football game against Charlotte on Saturday, Sept. 9, in a pre-recorded message from head coach Bill Snyder.

Snyder has cited his “16 Goals for Success” in his promotion of the partnership, specifically commitment, self-discipline and consistency. These goals, according to Powercat Health webpage, “can help you to live a healthy life.”

During the launch of the partnership, K-State Athletics is encouraging Kansans to share pictures of their path to better health on social media using #powercathealth.

Winners will be chosen randomly from photo entrants and given prize packs. K-State is offering suite level tickets as well as K-State fitness accessories, including Bluetooth headphones and a Fitbit activity tracker, as prizes.

To date, Stormont Vail Health and the Kansas Health Foundation have donated $1,200 to the Kansas Recreation and Parks Association.

“Together, with all Wildcat fans, we have an opportunity to change the health forecast for a generation of Kansans,” Randy Peterson, president and CEO of Stormont Vail Health, said to K-State Sports. “We couldn’t pass up that opportunity.”