Women’s tennis starts season on the road Thursday

0
34
Then-junior Maria Panaite lunges for a shot during a women's tennis practice on Oct. 7, 2015. (Archive photo by Parker Robb | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State women’s tennis team will start off their season with the Mizzou Invitational on Sept. 21 in Columbia, Missouri.

Last year the tennis team ended its last season at 12-15 overall and 2-7 in conference games. The team will get this season’s ball rolling Thursday at the University of Missouri’s invitational meet.

The Mizzou Invitational will feature four teams total: Mizzou, Wichita State, the University of Memphis and K-State.

While tennis tournaments focus on singles and doubles play, every match matters for the team. Each set is played as a best-of-seven, with the first team to reach four wins being the winner.

The Wildcats aspire to claw their way to a winning season this year, and exhibition tournaments like this one do not matter in the standings, but they do matter for morale.

With one player, sophomore Ines Mesquita, coming back from the Summer World University Games in Taiwan and another, freshman Margot Decker, selected for the Intercollegiate Tennis Association’s All-American Championships, the Wildcats look for a good start to the season.