Women’s tennis starts season with mixed results

0
154
Senior Iva Bago hits a tennis ball at K-State's match against Missouri at the K-State Recreation Tennis Courts on Feb. 10, 2017. (File photo by John Benfer | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State women’s tennis team took big wins in Columbia, Missouri, and Stillwater, Oklahoma, during over the last week.

Sophomore Ines Mesquita and freshman Anna Turco took the co-championship at the Mizzou Invitational in Columbia on Saturday.

“I was not sure what to expect going into this weekend, with not having much time to practice,” head coach Danielle Steinberg said to K-State Sports. “We definitely exceeded expectations on all levels.”

Mesquita defeated Mizzou freshman Marta Oliveira in two of three sets to improve her career singles record to 14-10 and claim her spot as co-champion.

Turco won in straight sets against Mizzou sophomore Serena Nash to improve to 3-0 with K-State and take her spot with Mesquita as co-champion.

In Stillwater, freshman Maria Linares lost in the first round of the qualifying draw in three sets to Alona Bondarenko of Ukraine, while freshman Rosanna Moffei moved onto the second round to face Felicity Maltby.

Moffei lost in three sets to Maltby in a hard-fought match, eliminating her from the competition in the second round.

The Wildcat tennis team will hit the court again on Saturday, Sept. 30 in Pacific Palisades, California, for the Intercollegiate Tennis Association Women’s All-American Championships. Two Wildcats will represent the school in California: senior Carolina Costamagna and freshman Margot Decker.