KSDB REVIEW: Solange’s “A Seat at the Table” is still great one year later

0
20
Opinion graphic

Solange made a name for herself in 2001 singing the theme song for Disney’s “The Proud Family,” but she successfully released her third studio album, “A Seat at the Table,” on Sept. 30, 2016.

Even one year later, this album really shows the world that Solange is more than Beyonce’s little sister. The 21 tracks contain 52 minutes of unadulterated art, featuring artists like Lil Wayne, Tweet, Sampha, BJ the Chicago Kid and Kelly Rowland.

My first time listening to the album was by surprise. I stumbled across the full release while browsing the Tidal streaming service.

I sat in my living room for a full hour listening to “A Seat at the Table,” and once I realized the album was closing, I put the album on repeat. From beginning to end, I enjoyed every track and never thought about skipping any — including the interludes.

The interludes especially made the album a great listen. I cannot conclude whether I have a favorite track, but I can list a few with a great vibe: “Don’t Touch My Hair,” “Don’t Wish Me Well,” “Where Do We Go,” “Cranes in the Sky” and “Mad.”

This album secured Solange a 2017 Grammy Award for Best R&B Performance for “Cranes in the Sky.” Solange wrote, arranged and co-produced every song on the album.

Solange’s voice throughout “A Seat at the Table” is a vicarious mouthpiece for marginalized people. This album is about Solange realizing she has a right to be mad, happy or sultry because she prepared the eponymous “table.”

She welcomes the audience to have “A Seat at the Table” also, but cautions you to be mindful of touching anything. Solange intelligently explores the trauma and resilience of being black in America. This album is a must-listen classic.

LeAndre Carthen is a graduate student in mass communications writing on behalf of KSDB, Kansas State’s student-run radio station. The views and opinions expressed in this review are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of the Collegian or KSDB. Please send comments to [email protected] and visit ksdbfm.org for more reviews.