Volleyball team set for tough match against Texas

0
41

The Kansas State volleyball team will face tough competition this weekend as they head to Austin, Texas, to take on the University of Texas Longhorns, ranked number five in the nation, on Saturday.

The volleyball team has gotten off to a solid start this season as the Wildcats are 8-7 in their first 15 matches.

The Wildcats went 7-6 in non-conference play. Two of those losses came to tough competition, as K-State fell in three sets to both the University of Wisconsin and the University of Nebraska.

The Wildcats started Big 12 conference play with a win on the road over the University of Oklahoma Sooners in five sets.

Most recently, K-State nearly came away with an upset win over the University of Kansas, but fell 3-2 in five sets at Ahearn Fieldhouse.

Junior Kylee Zumach leads the team in kills this season with 180. Zumach also leads the team in points per set at 3.46. Senior Bryna Vogel is close behind Zumach in both categories, with 148 kills and 2.97 points per set.

Freshman Peyton Williams, who is also on the K-State women’s basketball team, leads the team with 36 blocks in her first year of play. Sophomore Sarah Dixon has a commanding team lead in assists, with 440. The next closest is junior Brooke Smith with 212. Smith also leads the team with 17 service aces, and junior Reilly Killeen leads the team in digs with 182.

The Wildcats’ match against the Longhorns can be seen on the Longhorn Network starting at 1 p.m. Another road contest will take place Wednesday against Texas Christian University, which can be seen on ESPNU.

K-State returns to Ahearn Fieldhouse on Oct. 7 for a match against Texas Tech, which can be seen on ESPN3.