Wildcat cross country finishes in top 10 at Cowboy Jamboree

0
66
K-State women's cross country team warms up on a trail during an early morning practice at Frank Anneberg Park on Oct. 8, 2015. (Archive photo by Cassandra Nguyen | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State cross country teams ran in the 81st Cowboy Jamboree, hosted by Oklahoma State in Stillwater, Oklahoma, on Saturday. It was the third meet of the year for the Wildcats, and both the men’s and women’s teams finished in the top 10 of the team standings.

While the women finished eighth overall as a team, posting 186 points, it was their lowest finish and point total of the season.

Individually for the women, junior Emma Wren was the top K-State performer. She finished 25th with a time of 21:57.8.

Rounding out the top 50 for the Wildcats were senior Kayla Doll (28th), sophomore Sydney Collins (35th) and freshman Cara Melgares (43rd). All three of them finished the race in less than 23 minutes.

In her first collegiate race, freshman Erin Lee ran a time of 23:36.4 to finish at 55th.

The Wildcat men finished one spot higher as a team, taking 7th place. They scored 155 points for the day.

The top man for K-State was senior Colton Donahue. Donahue finished 22nd overall and ran a time of 25:21.8.

Four Wildcat seniors set new career bests. Jeffrey Bachman (25:38.9), Brett Bachman (25:51.3), Lukas Koch (25:52.9) and Bryan Zack (25:54.8) all set personal records and finished in the top 40. The four seniors finished 31st, 36th, 37th and 39th, respectively.

Despite no first-place team or individual finishers this time around, head coach Ryun Godfrey was proud of the performance of his teams in Stillwater.

“Everyone ran hard from the sound of the gun,” Godfrey said to K-State Sports. “I think we took a big step forward today, and we’re looking to continue to take steps forward and build our confidence heading into the Big 12 Championships.”

Coming up on Oct. 13, the Wildcats will head to Peoria, Illinois, to compete in the Bradley Pink Classic.