News Briefs: Oct. 4

0
62

Donald Trump visited Puerto Rico yesterday to survey damage after Hurricane Maria. According to The New York Times, Trump told officials they can be “very proud” only 16 died during the hurricane, as opposed to the 1,833 that perished in “real catastrophe” Hurricane Katrina. The visit follows public comments made by Carmen Yulín Cruz, the mayor of San Juan, decrying the poor recovery aid provided, causing Trump to lash out at her via Twitter. During a briefing yesterday, the two shook hands. Cruz was not asked to speak. As of Oct. 1, only five percent of the island had power, as reported by NPR.

Fallout from Sunday night’s mass shooting in Las Vegas continues to unfold. As of yesterday afternoon, the death toll stood at 59. The number of the injured reached 527. According to CBS News, the motive of the shooter, Stephen Paddock, remains unknown. Although ISIS claimed Paddock acted in affiliation with a branch of the Islamic State, the FBI has found “no connection with an international terrorist group.” Since news of the shooting hit headlines, many have insisted on increased gun control, though White House Press Secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders said during a press conference yesterday, “there’s a time and place for political debate, but now is the time to unite as a country.” President Trump declared flags should be flown at half-staff until sunset on Oct. 6 to honor victims of the shooting.

The Tonganoxie, Kansas city council voted Monday to oppose Tyson Foods’ attempt to build a $320 million poultry complex on the outskirts of the town. The resolution was approved unanimously. According to a press release from Citizens Against Project Sunset, the city council also encouraged the Leavenworth County Commission to adopt a similar resolution. “Project Sunset” refers to the secret name given to the project in early discussions between Tyson and county officials. The project, announced Sept. 5, would include a processing plant, animal nutrition facility and hatchery.

Fort Riley is hiring a new commanding general. According to the Mercury, Brig. Gen. Stephen G. Smith will replace Brig. Gen. William A. Turner as the deputy commanding general for support for Fort Riley and the 1st Infantry Division. Smith recently served in Kuwait. Turner retired last week after 31 years of Army service. A farewell ceremony will be held today on Fort Riley.

Rachel Hogan
I'm Rachel Hogan, news editor at the Collegian. I'm a sophomore in journalism from Olathe, Kansas. When I'm not at work in the newsroom, I like to spend my time taking naps, playing the cello and laughing with my friends.