Wildcat tennis headed to North Carolina for first tournament

0
14
Freshman player Ines Mesquita serves the ball at the Mike Goss tennis stadiums on March 30, 2017. (File photo by Kelly Pham | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State tennis team is headed off to Winston-Salem, North Carolina, this weekend for the Wake Forest Invitational. This will be the Wildcats’ first tournament of the season where they compete as a team.

The other universities invited to the tournament include the University of Louisville, the University of North Carolina at Asheville, the College of William and Mary, Winthrop, Elon, Virginia Commonwealth and Appalachian State.

The K-State tennis team has had some good results so far this season with the co-championship at the Mizzou Invite and taking matches to three sets in hard tournaments.

Freshman Anna Turco is enjoying her time with the team and said she thinks the team has a lot to look forward to this season, as a team and as individuals.

“I am very excited for the schedule because every tournament I will play, there will be the whole team with me,” Turco said. “We are working on the team bonding and trying to know each other and trust each other, and I think that’s very important.”

All the girls have played one tournament so far this season, but this will be the first tournament that will involve the whole team and not just one or two players. Previous tournaments this season were set up in a bracket where the winner advanced and the loser went home.

This tournament will be team-focused, and every member of the team will play their part in each match.

Head coach Danielle Steinberg is excited about the results from the season so far and is looking forward to the Wake Forest Invitational.

“It will be really nice for the girls to get the team dynamic, and learn what it’s like to have a team tournament in college,” Steinberg said. “We also play teams that we normally don’t play, so it will be nice to get away from the Big 12.”

The tournament will begin on Oct. 6 and continue through Oct. 8.