K-State tennis places first in Wake Forest Invitational

0
26

The Kansas State tennis team spent the weekend in the city of Winston-Salem, North Carolina, for the Wake Forest Invitational, the team’s first tournament of the season.

The Wildcats fared well in the three-day invitational tournament hosted by Wake Forest University.

Day One

The opening day of the invitational saw K-State post a 4-3 record in singles play, and 6-0 in doubles.

Freshman Rosanna Maffei defeated Elon University senior Erica Braschi in straight sets, 6-1, 6-2. She also competed in doubles with freshman teammate Anna Turco. The duo went undefeated on Friday with a 2-0 record.

The pairings of freshman Margot Decker with senior Carolina Costamagna and freshman Ines Mesquita with freshman Maria Linares added to K-State’s undefeated doubles record on Friday. Costamagna, Linares and Mesquita also advanced to playing on Saturday in the singles bracket.

Day Two

The Linares-Mesquita duo won again on Saturday, defeating Jona Roka and Lea Owens from James Madison University, 8-1. They went on to play for first place in the C doubles bracket on Sunday.

Maffei and Turco also advanced to play for first place in doubles, but in the B bracket. They defeated Davidson University’s Megan Scholvinck and Alexa Abele, 8-4.

Linares and Mesquita won their singles matches as well. Linares beat Teodora Sevo from Appalachian State, and Mesquita took down Elon’s Suzanne Zenoni. Both Wildcats were in the B1 singles bracket.

Maffei, Costamagna and sophomore Meghan King did not fare as well in singles play, each dropping their matches. Maffei lost to Maria Medina from Liberty University, but still got a chance for third place in the A2 singles bracket on Sunday.

Costamagna dropped a tough, three-set match to Raven Neely from Louisville University. She also played in a third-place match in the B2 singles bracket on Sunday.

King fell in straight sets to Appalachian State’s Sandra Anglesjo, but went on to battle for seventh place on Sunday.

After day two, the Wildcats had an 8-0 doubles record, and a singles record of 7-6.

Day Three

Sunday marked the final day of competition, and in the B doubles bracket, the Wildcats came out as champions.

The dynamic duo of Maffei and Turco finished their weekend run with a victory over Louisville’s Neely and Ariana Rodriguez.

In the A1 singles bracket, Turco defeated Madison Silver on Sunday. She lost her first match Friday, then went on to win her last two. Also in the A1 bracket, Decker got seventh place. In the A2 bracket, Maffei took third.

The B brackets saw multiple Wildcats excel. In B1, Mesquita took the crown, topping Wake Forest’s Anna Ulyashchenko. The B2 bracket saw Costamagna finished third, and Linares outlasted Neely from Louisville for the championship.

Next on the schedule for K-State’s tennis team are the ITA Regionals in Lawrence from Oct. 19 – 22.