News Briefs: Oct. 13

0
152

Eternati Willock was dismissed from the Kansas State women’s basketball team Wednesday. Head coach Jeff Mittie dismissed the sophomore forward on the grounds of “continued violations of team rules,” according to the Wichita Eagle. Willock was previously suspended from the team in April following an arrest for criminal trespassing and liquor purchase by a minor.

President Donald Trump signed an executive order on healthcare Thursday morning. According to CNBC, the order aims to provide “Obamacare relief” by relaxing the rules regarding both health plans provided by small businesses and short-term health insurance plans. This could potentially expand healthcare options for Americans while lowering costs. The executive order will not have a major effect on the upcoming enrollment season for Obamacare unless the administration takes further action.

The Collegian launched the Cat’s Meow this week. This new feature allows readers to nominate hard-working Wildcats and recognize selfless acts like volunteer work and community service. Nominations will be accepted on a rolling basis, with one submission chosen every Wednesday during the fall semester by the editorial board. Submit your nomination under ‘Contact Us’ on kstatecollegian.com.

The Las Vegas shooting received a new timeline Wednesday. According to CBS News, a maintenance worker at Mandalay Bay told hotel dispatchers to alert authorities and report a gunman with a rifle. Stephen Schuck was checking a report of a jammed fire door on the 32nd floor when shots rang down the hotel hallway. Schuck took cover with a security guard who had been shot in the leg. This is alleged to have happened approximately six minutes before the shooter, Stephen Paddock, began firing into the crowd of a nearby music festival from his hotel suite. It is unclear if Mandalay Bay staff contacted Las Vegas police, or if better communication could have prevented the shooting.

Rachel Hogan
I'm Rachel Hogan, news editor at the Collegian. I'm a sophomore in journalism from Olathe, Kansas. When I'm not at work in the newsroom, I like to spend my time taking naps, playing the cello and laughing with my friends.