Football fans raise money for cancer research

0
38

At Saturday’s home football game, the Kansas State Marching Band paid tribute to those fighting cancer during their halftime show performance at the fourth annual K-State Fighting for a Cure Day.

K-State holds an annual Fighting for a Cure Day to raise money and awareness for cancer research by selling T-shirts and collecting donations. This year, K-State raised over $30,500 for the cause.

The marching band ended their halftime show in a “Beat Cancer” formation to show support for the cause, followed by the game’s announcer sharing a message on behalf of head football coach Bill Snyder saying, “Let’s beat cancer.”

“It was really touching to see our school show their support in such a big way,” said Tory Bach, sophomore in food science and industry. “The formation of the band was really cool.”

This year’s shirts were purple with a white Powercat and the phrase “Fighting Ever Fighting for a Cure,” inspired by the K-State fight song, “Wildcat Victory.” Despite the home game’s numerous weather delays, the crowd in Bill Snyder Family Stadium was colored purple with “Fighting for a Cure” T-shirts.

“Even though it was raining and the game was delayed, there was still an overwhelming amount of support,” Maggie Schroeder, sophomore in industrial engineering, said.

All proceeds will go to support K-State’s Johnson Cancer Research Center. There are plans to continue selling the T-shirts throughout the year.

“I’ve known multiple people who either had or know someone with cancer, so it was really amazing to see our school tackle such a tough topic in a way that brought us all together,” Maddie Domnick, sophomore in business and photography, said.