K-State Athletics releases $15 million plans for baseball, soccer complexes

0
114
K-State fans pack the bleachers for the first ever soccer game held in university history on Sept. 17, 2016. The Wildcats took on the University of Northern Iowa in their home opener. (Archive photo by Nick Horvath | Collegian Media Group)

Kansas State unveiled plans to raise $15 million for renovating the baseball stadium and building a new women’s soccer complex Saturday.

The renovations to Tointon Family Stadium, the baseball team’s almost 17-year-old facility, are a new clubhouse and renovated offices. It will also get a new façade and a new roof.

The university also plans to build a more permanent facility for its women’s soccer team, which is in its first year of conference play. The new stadium will seat 1,400 people.

The new soccer complex will add more seating, restrooms and concessions and will remain in the space just south of Tointon. It also will get locker rooms, a lounge and new spaces for strength and conditioning where sports medicine staff can provide their services.

The plan is for the new stadiums to be ready for the 2019-2020 school year. According to the Topeka Capital-Journal, $7.5 million in donations has already been pledged. They plan to begin construction once the fundraising reaches $10 million.

K-State will collect all the money through donations and will not accrue debt or take money from state taxes. Any overruns will be paid through athletic department revenues instead of university funds.