Women’s golf team prepares for Texas tournament, men’s team finishes 14th

0
15
A K-State Men's Golf player practices putting at Colbert Hills Golf Course on Mar. 9, 2017. (File photo by John Benfer | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State men’s and women’s golf teams are engaging in two tournaments in October, with the men’s team recently finishing the Bank of Tennessee Intercollegiate and the women’s team still preparing for the Maryb Kauth Invitational.

The K-State men’s golf team headed out to the Bank of Tennessee Intercollegiate from Oct. 13 – 15, placing 14th overall out of 15 teams. Although the team’s overall score has showed little improvement since last tournament, the individuals all had solid rounds.

Sophomore Ben Fernandez had the best score on the team with 215 overall. Sophomore Jacob Eklund came in second with a 216. Third was senior Trent Evans with 223, and fourth was redshirt freshman Matthieu Caron with 228. Lastly was junior Jeremy Gandon with a 230 overall.

The men’s golf team will be turning their focus toward their next tournament at the Bridgestone Golf Collegiate in Greensboro, North Carolina, from Oct. 28 – 29.

Meanwhile, the women’s golf team has been practicing for their upcoming tournament, the Maryb Kauth Invitational from Oct. 22 – 24 in San Antonio.

Head women’s golf coach Kristi Knight talked about her team’s progress for the tournament next week.

“The last couple days, we’ve been going out on the course and hitting different shots,” Knight said. “They’re all great putters; we just didn’t have a good putting week in Mississippi.”

Coach Knight is referring to the Magnolia Invitational in Starkville, Mississippi, where the K-State women’s golf team placed ninth out of 10 teams from Oct. 1 – 3.

Coach Knight also talked about the similarities and differences between Colbert Hills, the golf course in Manhattan, and the golf course at the University of Texas in San Antonio.

“There’s some similarities,” Knight said. “The main similarity is the zoyschia fairways and the big grass greens. We have that here. The terrain is a bit different. There’s more trees, but there’s holes with wide fairways and holes with narrow fairways. It’s a challenging golf course, but it’s fun. I think we have a chance to really do well.”

Both Wildcat golf teams will be fixing mistakes and focusing on upcoming tournaments to finish out the fall season. After one upcoming tournament for the men and two tournaments for the women, the golf teams will be through the off season until they pick up again in February.