K-State football falls to Oklahoma, 42-35

0
243
The Kansas State Wildcats played the University of Oklahoma Sooners at Bill Snyder Family Stadium in Manhattan, Kan. on Oct. 21, 2017. (Photo by Justin Wright | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State Wildcats played the University of Oklahoma football team at home in Bill Snyder Family Stadium where they lost 42-35.

In the first 18 seconds of the first quarter, sophomore running back Alex Barnes had a 75-yard carry in for the first touchdown of the game. The Wildcats only had one play prior to the touchdown. Senior kicker Matthew McCrane’s kick was good, bringing the Wildcats 7-0.

Shortly after, the Oklahoma Sooners scored their first touchdown of the game. Senior quarterback Baker Mayfield threw for six yards to senior Dimitri Flowers, tying the game up 7-7.

Before the first quarter ended, sophomore quarterback Alex Delton rushed in the ball for one yard to bring K-State up once again. McCrane’s kick was good, bringing the Wildcats up to 14-7.

In the first quarter alone, Delton rushed for 96 yards and threw for 48 yards.

In the second quarter, Delton got a 21-yard run for the Wildcats, ending in another touchdown. McCrane’s kick was good, bringing the Wildcats up to 21-7.

Later, Oklahoma kicker Austin Seibert kicked a 19-yard field goal for the Sooners. The first half ended with K-State in the lead, 21-10.

Oklahoma was the only team that scored in the third quarter. Mayfield had a 14-yard run that ended in a touchdown, and Seibert kicked a 36-yard field goal. The third quarter ended 21-20, with K-State still barely in the lead.

The fourth quarter started off with an Oklahoma touchdown where Mayfield ran the ball in for three yards. About seven minutes later, Delton had a one-yard run for a K-State touchdown. The game was tied once again, 28-28.

The last six minutes of the game would turn everything around.

At 5:16 in the fourth quarter, Oklahoma sophomore Rodney Anderson caught a five-yard pass from Mayfield, bringing the score up, 35-28. At 2:25, K-State sophomore wide receiver Isaiah Zuber caught a five-yard pass from Delton, tying up the score again, 35-35.

In the last ten seconds of the game, Anderson got a 22-yard run, sealing the game for the Sooners.

Oklahoma ended the game with 28 first downs, while K-State ended with 18. Oklahoma also led in overall passing yards with 410, compared to 144 passing yards for K-State. Both teams fumbled once.

During the post-game press conference, K-State head football coach Bill Snyder talked about the loss.

“We’ve lost far too many games,” Snyder said. “I tell them I’m tired of having to come to the locker room under such circumstances.”

The Wildcats are currently on a three-game losing streak, making their season record 3-4.

Next week, the Wildcats will travel to Lawrence, where they will take on the Jayhawks at the University of Kansas.

DeAundra Allen
I'm DeAundra Allen, co-editor-in-chief and sports editor at the Collegian. I'm a junior in broadcast journalism and pre-law, with a minor in philosophy. I was born in Brighton, Colorado, home of La Placita and the Bulldogs. I moved to Kansas in 2010, and fell in love with press boxes at a young age. In my spare time, I talk about my pets, sports, and work towards going to law school.