Rowing team wraps up fall season at Jayhawk Jamboree

0
84
The varsity rowing team performs a routine at Tuttle Creek Lake in Manhattan, Kan. on Apr. 8, 2015. (Archive photo by Rodney Dimick | Collegian Media Group)

The Kansas State rowing team concluded its fall season at the fifth annual Jayhawk Jamboree last Sunday in Lawrence on the Kansas River. The Wildcats finished in the top three of all but one event they competed in.

The most notable finish came in the women’s Varsity 8+ 300-meter sprint.

The Wildcats’ V8A boat defeated the University of Oklahoma C boat to make it to the finals. In the finals, V8A finished second behind Oklahoma’s A boat. The defeat was narrow — the Wildcats finished in 55 seconds, while the Sooners finished in 53 seconds.

V8A was led by junior coxswain Samantha Scott. The rowers were senior Marissa Butrum, juniors Grace Reilly, Elaina Grantham, Mattie Warner and Kennedy Felice and sophomores Mikaela Bennett, Logan Frost and Lauren Costello.

In the women’s Varsity 4+ race, K-State had two boats finish in the top 15. Boat A finished ninth with a time of 14:25.59. Boat B finished 15th with a time of 14:44.55.

The Wildcats were successful in the women’s novice races, competitions intended for participants in their first year of rowing.

In the Novice 4+ race, Victoria Iacovetti coxed a boat rowed by sophomores Leah Gaines, Aubrey Gilchrist, Macy Flory and Skylar Gottschalk to a gold medal. Their first-place time was 15:49.14.

In the Novice 8+ race, Maddi Breault coxed a boat rowed by sophomores Abbey Hebbert, Caroline Geither, Jazzmyn Pekarek, Leah Gaines, Aubrey Gilchrist Skylar Gottschalk and freshmen Taylor Hartman and Emma Witter. The boat finished second in 13:56.80 for a silver medal.

With the fall rowing season coming to an end, the K-State rowing team won’t return to action until the spring season. The next meet be on March 3, 2018 in Oklahoma City.