What to watch: NBA Week 2

0
44

San Antonio Spurs vs. Miami Heat

Entering Tuesday, the San Antonio Spurs are just one of four remaining undefeated teams in the National Basketball Association.

This, however, is a completely different Miami Heat team. This Heat team is very young and will continue to get better with more experience among players. The Heat has been without its best player, Hassan Whiteside, as he has missed the past two games with a bruised knee after a 26-point, 22-rebound performance in the team’s season opener against the Orlando Magic last Wednesday.

Just when you think, “The Spurs won’t be good this year — they’re too old,” the team continues to prove the critics wrong. The Spurs have unfortunately not been able to get Tony Parker on the court yet, but LaMarcus Aldridge continues his sturdy production into his 2017 campaign. So far, he averages 24.3 points per game, which leads the team.

The Spurs and the Heat will play Wednesday, tipping off at 7 p.m. on ESPN from American Airlines Arena in Miami.

Toronto Raptors vs. Golden State Warriors

The Golden State Warriors are off to a slow start, but they redeemed themselves with a 133-103 win on the Dallas Mavericks to improve their record to 2-2 this season. Now the Golden State Warriors will take on the Toronto Raptors, who are 2-1 and seeking an upset on the road.

The Raptors are the second-best in scoring so far this season, averaging 122.5 points per game and led by a “two-headed monster,” DeMar DeRozan and Kyle Lowry. These two combine for roughly 41 percent of the team’s scoring. They will go up against the Warriors’ poor defense, which has let opponents score 114 points per game against them, making them the fifth-worst in the league.

As for the Warriors, the team will try to keep rolling with their perennial MVP candidates, Kevin Durant and Steph Curry. Curry leads the team with 29 points per game and Durant is second in that category, averaging 24 points per game.

This game is scheduled to tip off Wednesday at 9:30 p.m. at the Oracle Arena in Oakland, California.

Oklahoma City Thunder vs. Minnesota Timberwolves

Like many teams that add superstars to their lineup in the previous offseason, this Oklahoma City Thunder team is off to a slow start. With the addition of Paul George and Carmelo Anthony, this team will be under the national spotlight every night.

The young Minnesota Timberwolves squad is led by University of Kansas alum Andrew Wiggins, who averages 24.7 points per game. This franchise has been waiting for a long time to put all the pieces together, and maybe this could be the year. They certainly are off to a nice start with a 2-1 record, but it’s too early to tell.

Russell Westbrook’s numbers for the Thunder, to no surprise, have dipped significantly since last year. It’s very difficult to put up 31.8 points per game like he did last year with Carmelo and George on the court at the same time. Hopefully Westbrook will try to be a good teammate and win some ballgames for his team that has very high hopes for this 2017-18 season.

This game will tip off Friday at Target Center in Minneapolis at 7 p.m. on NBA TV.