Manhappenin’ Magazine’s fall issue out Thursday night with release party

0
115
Alanoud Alanazi, Royal Purple photo editor, poses with a copy of the Manhappenin' magazine in Manhattan, Kan. on Oct 26, 2017. (Collegian Media Group)

People dressed as unicorns, witches and more filed into Tate’s on Moro in Aggieville to check out the fall issue of Manhappenin’ Magazine at a Halloween-themed release party Thursday night.

Free food from Qdoba, Varsity Donuts and Insomnia Cookies was available for all attendees. Prizes were also awarded to those with the best costumes.

“Since it is around Halloween time, we decided to do something new and have a Halloween costume contest,” said Fabiola Sierra, Collegian Media Group advertising manager and senior in advertising. “It is a fun, interactive way for students to get involved and they will be judged by faculty.”

This was the second release party held by the magazine’s editors since its creation in 2016. Manhappenin’ is Kansas State’s student-created lifestyle magazine and part of the Collegian Media Group.

The publication was initially a campus directory, but it has taken on a new look as a magazine to draw in readership. Sierra said the staff now have their own office and continue to be a growing, developing department.

“It is a cool way for students to express their work and put together a finished product on their own,” said Julissa Andazola, release party attendee and junior in life science.

“I heard about the party last year and many people said it was a good time with free food,” Vanessa Sastoque, junior in business administration, said. “As I was looking through the magazine, it was neat to recognize other students’ names and see the cool magazine they created.”

“The more people we get to come to the party, the more buzz the magazine will get,” Sierra said. “People will see pictures and talk to others that went last year to hopefully increase interest in our magazine.”

For those who could not attend the party, the latest issue of Manhappenin’ will be sent to students through the mail and distributed throughout campus buildings, Greek houses and other organizations. An edition will also be released online at ManhappeninMagazine.com.

In addition to the magazine, Manhappenin’ has a Facebook, Twitter and Instagram account where they post about the latest fashion trends, cultural ideas and neat places to visit in Manhattan.