2017 K-State football predictions, revisited

1
513
The Kansas State Wildcats played the University of Kansas Jayhawks during the Sunflower Showdown at Memorial Stadium in Lawrence, Kan. on Oct. 28, 2017. The Wildcats went on to win 30 to 20. (Photo by Cooper Kinley | Collegian Media Group)

Earlier this year, I did a game-by-game prediction for Kansas State’s entire football season. I predicted that the Wildcats would finish 11-1, and needless to say, that’s not going to happen. But with a 4-4 record so far this season, let’s take a look to see how the Wildcats might finish the year and if they can make it to a bowl game.

Nov. 4: Texas Tech

As we’ve seen in recent games, K-State’s defense has struggled. Texas Tech is known for having explosive offenses, and this year is no different. Hopefully senior quarterback Jesse Ertz will be back for the Wildcats, but unless the defense can contain the Red Raider offense, things could get ugly in Lubbock, Texas — a place that is historically hard to win at. In the end, Texas Tech’s offensive firepower will be too much for the Wildcats to handle.

Final score: K-State: 27, Texas Tech: 55

Bold prediction: Sophomore running back Alex Barnes rushes for over 100 yards with two touchdowns.

Nov. 11: West Virginia University

Sitting at 4-5, the Wildcats are in desperate need of a win. A win against the Mountaineers won’t come easy, as quarterback Will Grier and wide receiver David Sills V having been having great years for the faithful in Morgantown, West Virginia. That being said, the Wildcats will protect their home turf and come away with a big win.

Final score: K-State: 34, West Virginia: 24

Bold prediction: Head coach Bill Snyder gets tricky and plays junior defensive back D.J. Reed at wide receiver.

Nov. 18: Oklahoma State

Oklahoma State, much like Texas Tech, has a big, fast-paced offense. But no matter what, the Wildcats and the Cowboys have a knack for playing close games in Stillwater, Oklahoma. K-State will get back to its old self — using up every second of the play clock and getting those 8-minute-long touchdown drives. But in the end, Oklahoma State can score whenever it wants and come away with a win.

Final score: K-State: 24, Oklahoma State: 31

Bold prediction: Ertz is healthy, but sophomore quarterback Alex Delton sees a majority of the time at quarterback.

Nov. 25: Iowa State

K-State was in this exact same position just a few years ago, where bowl game eligibility hinged on a home game with Iowa State. The Cyclones are currently playing as well as any team in the country — they’ve picked up wins over the University of Oklahoma and Texas Christian University during their winning streak. But with all the pressure stacked against K-State, Snyder will have the Wildcats ready to play and go bowling.

Final score: K-State: 24, Iowa State: 21

Bold prediction: Senior kicker Matthew McCrane hits a field goal with under a minute left on the clock to make the Wildcats bowl-eligible.

• Tom Souter

I hope you are right. I would hate to see a loss to ISU for HFHCBS’s last game.